Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Health of iPhone 13

Sometimes, I accidentally charge my iPhone 13 Pro Max beyond 100 percent when I’m busy working. Maybe a good 45 minutes after it has reached 100 percent.

Will this diminish the battery health of my iPhone 13?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 9:16 AM

It is not possible to charge an iPhone past 100%. The built-in charger stops charging at 100%, so you can leave it plugged in safely after it reaches 100%. In fact, that’s a good thing to do, because as long as it is plugged in the phone will use mains power instead of the battery, thus extending the useful life of the battery.

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2022 9:16 AM in response to skytree17

It is not possible to charge an iPhone past 100%. The built-in charger stops charging at 100%, so you can leave it plugged in safely after it reaches 100%. In fact, that’s a good thing to do, because as long as it is plugged in the phone will use mains power instead of the battery, thus extending the useful life of the battery.

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Battery Health of iPhone 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.