Preserving battery health

I want to preserve my battery health for a long time. It seems to take forever to charge to 80% if I leave my iPhone 14 on to charge. But I’m concerned I’ll degrade battery health if I turn it off to charge. What’s apple’s official stance on this issue?

iPhone 14 Plus, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 5:42 PM

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2023 5:42 PM in response to VanessaS1963

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Preserving battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.