Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Finder and computer keep crashing

Late 2015 iMac running Catalina - 48 GB of memory installed.

All of a sudden in the last couple of days my Finder keeps crashing. If it's not the Finder, the computer crashes and restarts on it's own. I just ran Disk Utility and Tech Tool Pro - no problems diagnosed. Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks, Carl

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 8:16 AM

carlart wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. Who is John Galt? ; )

A noted author: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

Similar questions

10 replies

Oct 19, 2022 11:45 AM in response to carlart

Download and run EtreCheck and share the report to the clipboard. Then open a new reply here, and then press the additional text button (that looks like a printed page) to get a text input box big enough to paste the hardware and software configuration report, and paste and post the report here.

Could be installed apps, or bad hardware, bad memory, or failing storage, all sorts of possibilities.

Oct 19, 2022 12:12 PM in response to carlart

A problem with the Fusion or with the add-on security apps would be the initial suspects.

Right now, the Fusion appears to be working, but HDD errors can be hidden by the SSD.

That the /etc/hosts is populated is odd. That’s usually fairly empty.

Remove Symantec, Norton 360, Norton LifeLock, and related.

Finish removing the firewall app; Radio Silence.

Remove Java if you’re not using it.

Given what I see here, I’d probably wipe and start over, migrating over settings and documents and not apps, given this Mac appears loaded with security and privacy add-ons, some of which such as the firewall appear to be broken. That stuff can get tangled.

Oct 19, 2022 12:32 PM in response to carlart

This iMac has been accreting apps and tools piecemeal since at least 2016, and quite possibly earlier. So no, these cases don’t tend to disentangle quickly or piecemeal, not particularly once the add-on security and such apps get involved.

The budget-unfriendly-but-time-expedient option is a new Mac, migrating files and documents and not apps, and installing just what is needed. That’ll also get you an SSD, faster hardware, current app versions, and macOS support with Monterey and Ventura.

And I’d skip the add-on security apps, using the built-in anti-malware tools absent some corporate requirement.

Oct 19, 2022 12:48 PM in response to carlart

There is probably nothing wrong with that Mac that a nuke-and-pave won't fix. As MrHoffman explained it has been larded down with way too many nonessential modifications to enumerate separately.

Erase it and start over. Do not install non-Apple "anti-virus" / "cleaners" / "helpers" / "decorators" / "tools" / etc. Macs work fine if you just let them work the way Apple designed them to work — without all that junk.

The Finder and computer keep crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.