Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos can play avi videos but not put them into a shared album?

In Photos I can play short avi videos which I have Import-ed from a trail camera (via its SD card), but when I try to put them into a shared album, a grey square appears, then disappears, the video is not placed, and there is no error or information message.

There is no problem putting stills from this device into the shared album.

What am I doing wrong?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 2:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 9:22 AM

Hi georgefromsouthampton,

This is expected behavior, given that you're working with a video in the AVI format.

When you have a free moment, check out the information in the link below in the section titled "Which video formats and sizes do Shared Albums support?"

If Shared Albums aren't working - Apple Support

Shared Albums support MP4 and QuickTime video file types, and H.264 and MPEG-4 video file formats. Videos can be up to 15 minutes long.

You cannot add videos in the AVI format to Shared Albums because it is not supported.

Please do not hesitate to reach back out to us if you have questions.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2022 9:22 AM in response to georgefromsouthampton

Hi georgefromsouthampton,

This is expected behavior, given that you're working with a video in the AVI format.

When you have a free moment, check out the information in the link below in the section titled "Which video formats and sizes do Shared Albums support?"

If Shared Albums aren't working - Apple Support

Shared Albums support MP4 and QuickTime video file types, and H.264 and MPEG-4 video file formats. Videos can be up to 15 minutes long.

You cannot add videos in the AVI format to Shared Albums because it is not supported.

Please do not hesitate to reach back out to us if you have questions.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Photos can play avi videos but not put them into a shared album?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.