Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only Some Photos Videos Appear in iMovie

Not all of my videos are appearing in the Photos option on iMovie. All of my video is taken with my iPhone 13 and shared via iCloud across all my devices. Photos is also used as the System Photo Library. When I attempt to create a project in iMovie and click on Photos from the left hand menu under My Media, almost all of my photos appear, but only some of my videos, even those taken within minutes of each other. They're available on my other devices, but are not being recognized by iMovie.

I should also note it is an absolute design flaw on Apple's part that drag and drop from the Photos app is not compatible with iMovie.

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 6:06 PM

Clips in the cloud will not be shown in the Photos item in the iMovie sidebar.

If you use iCloud Photos and have the optimized storage option enabled then some of your videos and photos will be stored in the cloud and not recognized by iMovie. They will be recognized if you down load them.

The procedure for drag and drop is to export the video clip from the Photos app to your desktop and from there drag into iMovie. One used to be able to direct drag from the Photos app to iMovie but posters here have reported that that no longer works. I wouldn’t call it a design flaw, however.

— Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2022 6:06 PM in response to foolishcop

Clips in the cloud will not be shown in the Photos item in the iMovie sidebar.

If you use iCloud Photos and have the optimized storage option enabled then some of your videos and photos will be stored in the cloud and not recognized by iMovie. They will be recognized if you down load them.

The procedure for drag and drop is to export the video clip from the Photos app to your desktop and from there drag into iMovie. One used to be able to direct drag from the Photos app to iMovie but posters here have reported that that no longer works. I wouldn’t call it a design flaw, however.

— Rich

Feb 14, 2022 6:47 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks for the response, though it doesn't quite explain why some movies do appear. I'll take 5 videos one after another on my iPhone and No. 4 will show up, but not 1,2,3, and 5. I do nothing else to them and they all move to iCloud Photos and are available on my other devices. They then all appear in Photos on my MacBook, for example. Yet in iMovie only No. 4 shows up.

Would My Photo Stream be a better option that iCloud Photos? I don't think I have that activated as I don't see it listed in the Photos app menu. Also, I'm using the Big Sur OS. And I would contend incompatibility between Apple programs while remaining completely within the Apple ecosystem is a design flaw. :)

Feb 14, 2022 7:28 PM in response to foolishcop

The four clips that don't show up are probably in the cloud. With optimized storage the Mac randomly picks clips that have not been played to store in the cloud, in order to save space, and will substitute small sized thumbnails to display in the Photos library, and on your devices that access the cloud. iMovie is compatible to read full sized photos in the Photos app library, but doesn't access a thumbnail that is simply a reference pointer. If you download the clip into your photos library iMovie should be able to read it. If iMovie doesn't read it after downloading the clip to your Photos app library, then possibly resetting/deleting iMovie preferences would resolve it. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and delete preferences from the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library, so you would need to open your current library to access your projects.

I'm not familiar with the Photo Stream feature, having never used it. You might post your question on the Photos for Mac Forum. The contributors there are very savvy re the Photos app.

-- Rich

Only Some Photos Videos Appear in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.