Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Clips Not Showing In iMovie

Hello,

I have an iPhone 13 Pro. My photos and videos are synced to my Mac using iCloud. That all works fine.

However, I am finding that my video clips do not show up in my iMovie library. All of my photos do appear. I can drag the video clip to the desk top and then drag to iMovie.

I am running the latest software on all my devices. I notice, when I click on the video clip in Photos, it seems to download it from the cloud each time. I 'do not' have optimise storage turned on in Photos.

Any help is appreciated.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 9:38 AM

The main reasons that photos/videos do not show up in the iMovie Photos library sidebar item are that they stored in the cloud, or iCloud Photos is selected in the Photos preferences with Optimize Photos enabled, or the media is stored in a Photos library that is not designated as the System Photo library.

From your post it appears that the videos are stored in the cloud, and that would be a reason that they are not visible in iMovie. Check that you have enough space and download the videos.

In the iCloud photos preferences make sure that "Download originals to this Mac" is selected. Also verify that the Photos library containing the videos is designated as the "system photo library "in the Photos General preferences. If "use as system photo library is grayed out that means it already is the system photo library.

It's possible also that the videos may be in a legacy format, like .avi that would not be recognized by iMovie.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 9:38 AM in response to Tom_in_Peterborough

The main reasons that photos/videos do not show up in the iMovie Photos library sidebar item are that they stored in the cloud, or iCloud Photos is selected in the Photos preferences with Optimize Photos enabled, or the media is stored in a Photos library that is not designated as the System Photo library.

From your post it appears that the videos are stored in the cloud, and that would be a reason that they are not visible in iMovie. Check that you have enough space and download the videos.

In the iCloud photos preferences make sure that "Download originals to this Mac" is selected. Also verify that the Photos library containing the videos is designated as the "system photo library "in the Photos General preferences. If "use as system photo library is grayed out that means it already is the system photo library.

It's possible also that the videos may be in a legacy format, like .avi that would not be recognized by iMovie.

-- Rich

Video Clips Not Showing In iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.