Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD card read and write?

I connected a SD card to the lightning port and I can view the contents of the SD card on my iPad but is it possible to transfer files on my SD card to the iPad or iPhone 13? In other words it reads the card but it won’t let me transfer files to iPad or iPhone thank you for any help

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 4:54 AM

5 replies

Oct 20, 2022 6:19 AM in response to Paulokc

With introduction of iPadOS the import photos prompt doesn’t now occur. Instead, you should be able to simply import using the native Files App.

More info here (link updated):

Import photos and videos to iPad - Apple Support

The native iOS/iPadOS Files App can both read and write to a SD Card in exactly the same manner as for other storage devices. If using an SD Card, ensure that the physical “lock” switch on the edge of the SD Card is not in the Write Protect or Lock position - as otherwise you’ll not be able to save files to the card:

Oct 20, 2022 6:38 AM in response to LotusPilot

Yeah,

I wan't sure if writing to SD cards was possible now, or not.

Most times, for me, anyways, my use of SD cards is just for storing digital photos/images from my digital cameras that I just download straight to my iPads ( using just as a Read ONLY media ).

I was not sure with iPadOS if transferring data to a SD card from iPad was possible, or not.

Does the card need to formatted to use with an iPad, like a hard drive, USB Stick, SSD?

Currently all of my SD cards are just formatted to whatever format my digital cameras use as these are formatted from within the camera.

Can SD cards be reformatted on a Mac?

SD card read and write?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.