Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I download an iphone backup file to my computer?

When I was setting up my new phone, I found out that apparently my previous backup was incomplete and I had already deleted the info on my previous phone. I can see in settings that there is a backup of 117GB - is it possible to download this file or somehow restore it? I especially do not want to lose the photos I had.

I would be happy even just to download this file somewhere so I can maybe recover it later, because icloud deletes the backups at some point.

By the way, this is probably made more difficult by the fact that I have an LG computer with Windows. I could ask my friend to borrow his Mac, if it is neccesary.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 10:39 AM

Hello Chaoticat,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to help you restore your backup to recover your data.

You can only restore the entire backup to your device. First, make sure you have a backup of the current data if needed.

Then, if the backup is on your computer, you can use these steps to restore the backup:

"Restore your device from a backup on your computer

1. On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open the Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable. If a message asks for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. Get help if you forgot your passcode.
  3. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in the Finder window or iTunes. Learn what to do if your device doesn't appear.

A Finder window showing John's iPhone connected.

4. Select Restore Backup. Learn what to do if a message says that your device's software is too old

5. Look at the date of each backup and pick the most relevant.

6. Click Restore and wait for the restore to finish. If asked, enter the password for your encrypted backup.

A Finder window with a prompt to choose a backup and enter your password.

7. Keep your device connected after it restarts and wait for it to sync with your computer. You can disconnect after the sync finishes."

This Apple Support page has the full details: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

We hope this helps as this will restore your iPhone to how it was at the time of the backup.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2022 10:39 AM in response to Chaoticat

Hello Chaoticat,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to help you restore your backup to recover your data.

You can only restore the entire backup to your device. First, make sure you have a backup of the current data if needed.

Then, if the backup is on your computer, you can use these steps to restore the backup:

"Restore your device from a backup on your computer

1. On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open the Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable. If a message asks for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. Get help if you forgot your passcode.
  3. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in the Finder window or iTunes. Learn what to do if your device doesn't appear.

A Finder window showing John's iPhone connected.

4. Select Restore Backup. Learn what to do if a message says that your device's software is too old

5. Look at the date of each backup and pick the most relevant.

6. Click Restore and wait for the restore to finish. If asked, enter the password for your encrypted backup.

A Finder window with a prompt to choose a backup and enter your password.

7. Keep your device connected after it restarts and wait for it to sync with your computer. You can disconnect after the sync finishes."

This Apple Support page has the full details: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

We hope this helps as this will restore your iPhone to how it was at the time of the backup.

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2022 11:55 AM in response to Chaoticat

Hello Chaoticat,

You can follow the steps from this article to help resolve your issue:

If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup

Try again after each step 
1. Make sure your Mac or PC is up-to-date. If you're using iTunes, make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, and locate your device on your computer. If your device doesn't appear in Finder or iTunes, learn what to do. If you forgot your passcode or your device is disabled, learn what to do
3. Restart all your devices.
4. If you use a Mac, skip this step. If you use a Windows PC and iTunes won't respond or your backup never finishes, you might need to update, change, disable, or uninstall your security software.
5. If you own more than one computer, try to make a backup on your other Mac or PC. Or, use iCloud to back up your device and restore from your iCloud backup.
6. If you see an alert that says an error occurred, your backup is corrupt or incompatible, or there's not enough disk space, find your error message below to learn what to do next.
7. Contact Apple Support.

Best Regards.

How can I download an iphone backup file to my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.