Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emails disappearing when closing mail app - iOS 16 - Undo Mail Send Issue

Using Mail on an iphone on iOS 16, I have discovered that some recipients are not receiving the emails. I have since discovered that if you send an email, then close the app moments later, the email dissapears and has not been sent ...this has happened several times.

It seems that it is to do with the 'undo send' option in the Mail app as it is waiting for 10 seconds for you to undo the send.

At no point have I clicked 'undo send'!

Surely I shouldn't have to wait 10 seconds before closing the app? if I do close the app within 10 seconds, surely the mail should send, or at least stay in outbox (or drafts)? This is a flaw in the 'Undo Send Delay' function, there is no way the emails should be unsent and deleted as I clicked 'Send' and then closed the app after I asked for it to be sent.

If go to Settings > Mail > Undo Send Delay and set it to 'Off', then the issue is resolved and mail will send even if you close the app.

Is anyone else experiencing this strange issue?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 7:34 AM

This is the issue:

Settings > Mail > Undo Send Delay > 10 seconds (or more)

1. Open Mail App
  2. Create new email
  3. click 'send'
  4. Close mail app within a few seconds of sending that email
  5. Email disappears and does not arrive in destination inbox

Re-open Mail app, Email has disappeared, it is not in Sent Items, Outbox or Drafts.

This is the workaround:

Settings > Mail > Undo Send Delay > OFF

1. Open Mail App
  2. Create new email
  3. click 'send'
  5. Email successfully arrives at destination inbox

I'm posting his in case others also have had an issue with emails disappearing and this workaround will help. Hopefully Apple will be able to fix it in future updates.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2022 7:34 AM in response to dalydesign

This is the issue:

Settings > Mail > Undo Send Delay > 10 seconds (or more)

1. Open Mail App
  2. Create new email
  3. click 'send'
  5. Email disappears and does not arrive in destination inbox

Re-open Mail app, Email has disappeared, it is not in Sent Items, Outbox or Drafts.

This is the workaround:

Settings > Mail > Undo Send Delay > OFF

1. Open Mail App
  2. Create new email
  3. click 'send'
  5. Email successfully arrives at destination inbox

I'm posting his in case others also have had an issue with emails disappearing and this workaround will help. Hopefully Apple will be able to fix it in future updates.

Nov 24, 2022 8:59 AM in response to LD150

So you're telling me that you've never written a reply, clicked send and then close an app?

Often I finish a job, reply to a customer, click send and shut down my mac and go home. No one should have to count to 10 then shut down a computer... that sounds like something I used to do when sending mail on a windows 95 machine!

Gmail and Outlook have it where you can reply to an email, it gives you the option to undo send, but if you close it, the email is still sent. ...hence the feature works. The feature needs improving to work correctly. Its feels like a rushed out feature. I guess its great if you leave all apps open, but that seems messy for the app switcher feature

Emails disappearing when closing mail app - iOS 16 - Undo Mail Send Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.