Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iPhone - Thieves demanded passcode and turned off Find My. What are best options/advice?

My friend's iPhone was stolen last night. He was held at gunpoint and the thieves demanded his iPhone Passcode. The thieves proceeded to change his passcode, add their Face ID, and change his Apple ID password, all in front of him. Find My was disabled. He's now locked out of accessing his iCloud, leaving thieves with access to all of his passwords in keychain, apps, etc.

He has reached out to Apple and started the Apple ID Recovery process, but must wait at least 21 more hours until the next update. I am wondering if anyone has any advice/best practices for such a situation. What would you suggest he do? Is there anything to do other than sit and wait?

On a side note, I must say, I think it is shocking that Apple allows someone to change an Apple ID password without requiring the old Apple ID password. Thieves can go into Settings and type the iPhone passcode, which then allows them to change the Apple ID password. Shocking security failure, in my opinion. Why wouldn't you also require the Apple ID password to make that change?

Anyways, just looking for best advice you would give to my friend. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 4:43 PM

What difference would it have made if they’d needed the AppleID password? If someone has you at gunpoint and is threatening to take your life, they can demand that just as easily as they demanded the iPhone screen lock passcode. In that situation, no password, 2 factor login or anything else is going to protect someone’s accounts and information. It is the extreme situation where such measures to control access to personal information simply cannot protect your information as your life is at stake.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2022 4:43 PM in response to hdr14

What difference would it have made if they’d needed the AppleID password? If someone has you at gunpoint and is threatening to take your life, they can demand that just as easily as they demanded the iPhone screen lock passcode. In that situation, no password, 2 factor login or anything else is going to protect someone’s accounts and information. It is the extreme situation where such measures to control access to personal information simply cannot protect your information as your life is at stake.

Oct 26, 2022 8:43 AM in response to Michael Black

From a friend’s experience, Apple is no help. Thieves had his phone for a few days before it was erased and his accounts were wiped out. He no longer keeps banking, Venmo, PayPal on his phone and only has a credit card attached. The passcode is the wink link…the demanded it then quickly changed it. Perhaps if passcode changes didn’t take effect for a period of time(maybe 24 hours). Sucks

Stolen iPhone - Thieves demanded passcode and turned off Find My. What are best options/advice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.