Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

display Nikon z7 ii nef files on iPad Pro

I can view Nikon nef (raw) files on my 2020 iPad Pro running 15.7 if they are small (4128x2752 pixels) or medium (6192x4128 pixels), but not full-size (8256x5504 pixels). Images were shot using my Z7 ii in 12-bit lossless compressed in all cases. Images from a Z9 (same sensor, color depth and compression) also have this problem. Each image flashes briefly 6 times, and then goes to the standard "nef file" generic image. How do I fix this problem? The Z7 ii has been out for 2 years, but my search in the forum didn't turn up anything on this.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 1:04 PM

OK, I just posted my problem a week too early. Upgrading to iPadOS16 fixed the problem with Files not being able to display full-frame nef images. The file transfer/copy speed is still quite slow, so alternatives such as Stratopherix FileBrowser may still have significant value. Will try that out once I validate everything is working ok under v16.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 1:04 PM in response to NikonPhotographeriPad

OK, I just posted my problem a week too early. Upgrading to iPadOS16 fixed the problem with Files not being able to display full-frame nef images. The file transfer/copy speed is still quite slow, so alternatives such as Stratopherix FileBrowser may still have significant value. Will try that out once I validate everything is working ok under v16.

Oct 21, 2022 6:35 AM in response to NikonPhotographeriPad

This support page details the RAW formats natively supported by iPadOS15.

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey - Apple Support

You may find that some third-party Apps support a wider range of RAW formats. Perhaps consider Stratopherix FileBrowser - Document Manager, or its “pro version” FileBrowser Professional:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/filebrowser-document-manager/id364738545

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/filebrowser-document-manager/id364738545

You might review the extensive online Manual and help files to determine suitability for your needs.

https://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowserprofessional/filebrowser-professional-user-guide.php

Oct 23, 2022 5:59 AM in response to NikonPhotographeriPad

Given that this is a user-to-user technical support community, contributors here are all end-users, just like you. We have absolutely no influence or input to Apple’s available documentation or resources.

Apple do invite submission of comments, feature requests and bug reports via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Hopefully File Browser - Document Manager or File Browser Professional will resolve your immediate difficulties.

Oct 23, 2022 5:45 AM in response to LotusPilot

Yes, Apple has had support for nef files for the Z7 ii for over a year. BUT it still does NOT support full-size nef images from this camera. Shouldn't there at least be a footnote saying that it doesn't support the size that most people shoot? Or alternatively, leave the Z7 ii off the list, as they have done with the Z9?

Thanks for the tip on Stratopherix. I'll give that a look.

display Nikon z7 ii nef files on iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.