Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Accounts not possible to add Google Account

I have a similar problem to this: Internet Accounts not working - Apple Community

but there is no solution mentioned in the original topic.

• I recently changed my Google password. I synced my Google account to Calendar on my Macbook ages ago, so logically I have to re-enter the new password to sync it again. Sure, no problem, right? Right...?
  • When I want to add something to Calendar and it wants to sync to my Google account, I get a nice popup message in my right top corner to re-enter the password. I click it and get sent to System Preferences >> Internet Accounts.
  • I get almost the same issue as the OP from the previous topic: I have to open a browser to authenticate. I have Chrome as my standard browser though. It wouldn't open. System Preferences just shows an empty message popup with a loading icon. I could only click cancel, the "open Safari" button was greyed out.
  • I tried several times, restarted my computer, but no effect.
  • Maybe it works to remove my Google account from my Macbook and then re-add it? So I remove the Google account, hoping I can add it.
  • Almost the same problem: I click on the Google logo to add a Google account, I get a message "Google requires completing authentication in your web browser" so I click "Open browser", Chrome does actually open, but nothing more. I don't get prompted to enter any credentials anywhere. Cmd-tabbing from Chrome to System Preferences does not work properly when the empty message with loading icon is employed in System Preferences (in the background now), so I have to minimize apps to get to System Preferences to click "Cancel" there. I do not get the failed-message the OP from the other thread mentions.
  • I tried multiple times. Disabled Chrome extensions Ecosia (automatic redirect from Google to ecofriendly search engine) and uBlock Origin (popup blocker), but it wouldn't help.

How can I fix this and add my Google Account properly to my Macbook again?

(I'm regularly good with computers, but not tech savvy enough to interpret stuff from Console. However I do know where to find it and know in theory what it's used for.)

Screenshot 1: System Preferences >> Internet Accounts, want to add Google account.

Screenshot 2: When I click the Google logo.

Screenshot 3: When I click "Open browser", this shows really quick before opening Chrome. Chrome does not prompt me to do anything and in case Chrome is already opened, it doesn't open a new tab. When I minimize Chrome to access System Preferences again (cmd-tabbing doesn't work), Cancel is the only option here.

(In the first instance, when my Google account was still on my Macbook, no browser did open and I had a greyed out button "Open Safari" on the right).

Posted on Oct 21, 2022 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2022 2:30 AM

Change the Default Browser to Safari for this specific operation you are attempting

1 reply

Internet Accounts not possible to add Google Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.