Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synch options not available in Finder for iPod Classic / Monterey

I was trying to update the libraries on my 80GB iPod Classic, and cannot. The only options available are "Check for Update" and "Restore iPod..."

1. Check for Update: "This version of the iPod software (1.1.2) is the current version."
  2. Restore iPod...: I have tried this several times, including letting it run overnight (over 8 hours). It never stopped saying that it was still updating, BUT... I ejected the iPod using the Finder and it mounts successfully (I also ran First Aid in the Disk Utilitiy App.

In the Finder, the device is listed twice: once with the device name and an icon of a solid circle (turns to info icon on mouseover (circle with i)), and once as iPod. Clicking <iPod> brings up a finder window with folders (Calendars, Contacts, Notes, Recordings). Clicking <iPod name> brings up the Finder window with only two options (see attached image).

If I try to change the <iPod name> in the Finder window a dialog says "The selected device could not be found."

When I ran Restore iPod..., the music was deleted. Can I synch my iPod Classic, or is it now unusable? (It works fine!!)

Posted on Oct 21, 2022 4:16 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Oct 24, 2022 1:12 PM in response to turingtest2

I am unable to change the device's name.

If I tried to change the name of the <iPod name> via the Finder, I get the message "The selected device could not be found." (see screenshot)

It does not appear on the desktop, so I cannot change the name there.

Since it does not appear in the Music app, I cannot change the name there.

I changed the name of <iPod> via Disk Utility. That had no effect.

Synch options not available in Finder for iPod Classic / Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.