Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic not syncing, WIN10

I'm running Windows 10 on an almost new laptop.

My iTunes Library is stable, and I imported all songs from my external HDD backup. On the PC, iTunes works fine. I can Add, Edit and Playback all as normal.

BUT, when I plug in my iPod Classic, it is recognised by the software, but will NOT allow syncing. It receives charge from the power source, I can see the track Titles listed (but no other data) in the iPod window, but I'm allowed NO other actions.

Can't sync, import, delete, edit - nothing. Even after a soft reboot of the iPod and restarting the laptop.

That can't be right - right?

The iPod isn't corrupt; it's working on playback. The laptop is new, so there's no issue there.

I'm now overseas for a long time, and my HDD is back home, so I'm not going to risk a full reset of the software and the iPod. I'd rather have a limited-use iPod OK for playback, than a Reset one with no songs on it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 3:17 AM

Thanks tt2 - that sounds plausible and entirely likely!

I synced the iPod right before I decommissioned / deauthorised the last laptop. I thought by copying the exact same Library and playlists it would be a straight copy on the new one, ready to sync.

But you’re right. I guess I have to treat it as a new Library and start over.

Thanks for your help; much appreciated.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2020 3:17 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks tt2 - that sounds plausible and entirely likely!

I synced the iPod right before I decommissioned / deauthorised the last laptop. I thought by copying the exact same Library and playlists it would be a straight copy on the new one, ready to sync.

But you’re right. I guess I have to treat it as a new Library and start over.

Thanks for your help; much appreciated.

Dec 6, 2020 3:10 AM in response to FrugalSharkey

I presume you previously synced the classic from another computer. If you've created a new iTunes library with media restored from your backup this will be treated as a new library as far as the classic is concerned, which might be why you're not getting an active sync button. With a synced device you can see the contents of the device but not play or change them, those actions are reserved for manually managed devices. I would expect you to get an erase and sync warning if you tried to set up syncing with it by making new sync selections.

tt2

iPod Classic not syncing, WIN10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.