Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad slightly bent and screen popping off

Hello,

I bought my iPad Pro 11' a couple months ago. I recently discovered that it's slightly bent at the top and the screen is popping off a bit. No idea how it happened as it's always been in a case. I didn't even notice until I saw that gap between the screen and the case. The bend doesn't look very severe. I have no problem using it, but is it safe to use?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 4:39 AM

As shown in your photograph, the iPad chassis has been physically bent. The illustrated damage is not typical of bowing that might occur due to a swelling of a malfunctioning or defective iPad battery.

iPad models do not spontaneously “bend” or otherwise deform - unless they are exposed to environmental conditions significantly beyond their design limits - or the device has experienced mechanical trauma, such as being sat upon or similar. Damage of this type is also atypical of a device being carried along with other items in an unsuitable bag or backpack - where the iPad may be unintentionally exposed to unexpected forces.

If you have benefit of an active AppleCare+ Plan, you should be able to make a damage claim - for which a small excess/deductible fee will be charged. Otherwise, an out-of-warranty repair is typically charged at c.60% of the “as new” cost of the device. Either way, you can explore your available options at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Alternatively, you might consider using Apple’s mail-in repair service:

iPad Service & Repair - Apple Support

For qualifying devices, for both AppleCare+ and iPad repairs, in lieu of repairing your own iPad, Apple will usually offer a permanent exchange for a refurbished/renewed iPad of the same model and specification. Where available, the cost is the same.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2022 4:39 AM in response to PurpleDashCrown

As shown in your photograph, the iPad chassis has been physically bent. The illustrated damage is not typical of bowing that might occur due to a swelling of a malfunctioning or defective iPad battery.

iPad models do not spontaneously “bend” or otherwise deform - unless they are exposed to environmental conditions significantly beyond their design limits - or the device has experienced mechanical trauma, such as being sat upon or similar. Damage of this type is also atypical of a device being carried along with other items in an unsuitable bag or backpack - where the iPad may be unintentionally exposed to unexpected forces.

If you have benefit of an active AppleCare+ Plan, you should be able to make a damage claim - for which a small excess/deductible fee will be charged. Otherwise, an out-of-warranty repair is typically charged at c.60% of the “as new” cost of the device. Either way, you can explore your available options at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Alternatively, you might consider using Apple’s mail-in repair service:

iPad Service & Repair - Apple Support

For qualifying devices, for both AppleCare+ and iPad repairs, in lieu of repairing your own iPad, Apple will usually offer a permanent exchange for a refurbished/renewed iPad of the same model and specification. Where available, the cost is the same.

Oct 22, 2022 10:38 PM in response to PurpleDashCrown

PurpleDashCrown Said:

"iPad slightly bent and screen popping off: Hello, I bought my iPad Pro 11' a couple months ago. I recently discovered that it's slightly bent at the top and the screen is popping off a bit. [...]"

-------

Thank you or the photo.

Your Battery is Corroding:

A corroding battery, which is a health hazard. So, I'd say return it to the seller. If Apple, note that you have 14 days to do so.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

iPad slightly bent and screen popping off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.