Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music, iTunes, Library

I changed my apple id from an old email address that doesnt exist anymore. After signing in to Apple Music on my iPad Air. I played one selection with no problem. Later I signed out and then signed in with the new Apple ID. A large percentage of my Library seems to be gone. None of the remaining music can be played - the message is that I can’t play on any device other than the hosting iPad because I don’t have Match.

I’m working on an Apple Air, fairly new, latest software up to date.

An older iPad is dedicated to running all the music, a mixture of iTunes purchases and music I’ve added.

I have always been able to play music from my library on a Mac, and a couple of iPads and an iPhone without any trouble.

The music library is a really big deal for me. Any help greatly appreciated

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 3:31 AM

Purchases are tied to the Apple ID that made them. They cannot be transferred to another account. Your email address and password combination remain valid for your old ID even though you can no longer receive mail. Rather than create a new ID what you should have done is update the address associated with it. See About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support for details. Your iCloud Music Library can only contain purchased content from your current Apple ID, which is probably the root cause of your issues. Locally stored music on your computer should continue to work. See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support and check the status of your tracks. Previous purchases can be converted to new AAC files in order to create copies that will match/upload with the new account. Another approach is to link the old ID with the new one in Family Sharing, but that may not be possible without access to the old email account.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2022 3:31 AM in response to LauraJAK24

Purchases are tied to the Apple ID that made them. They cannot be transferred to another account. Your email address and password combination remain valid for your old ID even though you can no longer receive mail. Rather than create a new ID what you should have done is update the address associated with it. See About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support for details. Your iCloud Music Library can only contain purchased content from your current Apple ID, which is probably the root cause of your issues. Locally stored music on your computer should continue to work. See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support and check the status of your tracks. Previous purchases can be converted to new AAC files in order to create copies that will match/upload with the new account. Another approach is to link the old ID with the new one in Family Sharing, but that may not be possible without access to the old email account.

tt2

Apple Music, iTunes, Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.