Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings that allow sleep on M1

I often have tasks with long execution times that I need to keep running while the display is locked. So I set the Battery > Power Adapter settings to Not put hard disks to sleep, and Prevent auto sleep when display is off.

I also often connect to an external monitor, either via Airplay or HDMI, and might have various Bluetooth devices (auto-)connected such as a keyboard, trackpad or remote presenter.

I'd also like the computer to go to sleep as soon as I close the lid, no matter what it is connected to via Bluetooth, Airplay etc. I won't close the lid when a long task is running, but I don't want to have "prevent autosleep" on all the time either.

Can I set this combo in the System Preferences? Or do I better use Amphetamine with more control options?

Thanks

14" M1 pro Monterey 12.6

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 7:04 AM

Hello schmunzelmonster,

Correct! Unless you connect your power connector as it mentions here: Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

"If you use an external keyboard and mouse with your Mac notebook, you can close the built-in display after you connect your external display. You might have to press a key or click your mouse to wake the external display. To use your Mac with the display closed, you need to connect your power adapter or connect an external display that also charges your Mac, such as the Apple Studio Display or 23.7-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display."

Thanks.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2022 7:04 AM in response to schmunzelmonster

Hello schmunzelmonster,

Correct! Unless you connect your power connector as it mentions here: Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

"If you use an external keyboard and mouse with your Mac notebook, you can close the built-in display after you connect your external display. You might have to press a key or click your mouse to wake the external display. To use your Mac with the display closed, you need to connect your power adapter or connect an external display that also charges your Mac, such as the Apple Studio Display or 23.7-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display."

Thanks.

Oct 24, 2022 1:21 PM in response to schmunzelmonster

Hi schmunzelmonster,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today.

Closing the lid on your MacBook Pro will put the computer to sleep for you. Please see: Put your Mac to sleep or wake it

"Put your Mac to sleep

To put your Mac to sleep, do any of the following:

• Choose Apple menu  > Sleep.
  • On a Mac notebook computer, close the display.
  • If you have the option on your keyboard, press Option-Command-Media Eject key ."

All available sleep and wake settings can be found here: Set sleep and wake settings for your Mac.

If you have any suggestions on these settings, you can visit Product Feedback and the right team may be able to see it.

Have a fantastic day!

Settings that allow sleep on M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.