Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The amount of rows in Numbers automatically sets to 1000 and nothing else.

So I wanted to change the amount of rows in my table sheet in Numbers from 60 to 100. Instead it set it to 1000 and doesn't budge. No matter what amount I enter it doesn't change from 1000. It just goes back to this number.

I force quit numbers on my MacBook, it didn't do anything. I tried changing the amount of rows in Numbers app on my iPhone. Same thing. I can't change it there either. It just sets it to 1000. I tried taking a screenshot of it on my iPhone and guess what. It doesn't allow me to save the freaking screenshot. What the f is going on???

I am so ****** off rn. Is this the planned obsolescence bulls*it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 2:30 PM

Please check if all rows that you don't want to see are completely empty.

If the rows are empty I can increase / decrease the number of rows without an issue.

As soon as the rows are not completely empty it will not allow me to reduce the number of rows.

Please check also hidden columns.

I think that is intended to prevent data loss.

If this is not working you could always start your Mac in Safe Mode, that will fix many strange issues.

Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (UK)

Ralf

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2022 2:30 PM in response to daliya17

Please check if all rows that you don't want to see are completely empty.

If the rows are empty I can increase / decrease the number of rows without an issue.

As soon as the rows are not completely empty it will not allow me to reduce the number of rows.

Please check also hidden columns.

I think that is intended to prevent data loss.

If this is not working you could always start your Mac in Safe Mode, that will fix many strange issues.

Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (UK)

Ralf

Oct 23, 2022 5:25 PM in response to daliya17

As Ralf said, it is probably that the rows have something in them. When you add rows Numbers often automatically fills down formulas into the new rows. You can delete the contents of the rows then use the format sidebar to change the number of rows but, instead of that, it would be easier to go to the table and select the rows you want to delete then right click and choose Delete Selected Rows (or go to the Table menu and choose Delete Rows).

The amount of rows in Numbers automatically sets to 1000 and nothing else.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.