Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Child apple id

I have created a child Apple ID for my son on my phone. But now on my old phone, which he will be using, it’s still signed in with my Apple ID. How do I change his phone to be signed in with his Apple ID and not mine?

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 9:55 AM

If you want to reset the device and have a clean start, before changing the ID, do the steps in the articles below.

Selling/Giving Away Device.      

Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Or if you want to keep the data, when changing to the new ID, make sure you turn off Find My Phone before signing out of the old ID. Once signed out and Find My Phone is off, then sign in with the new ID, then turn Find My Phone back on. There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. If possible, also set up Family Sharing  between the IDs to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.    

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.    

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.        

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2022 9:55 AM in response to Indie F

If you want to reset the device and have a clean start, before changing the ID, do the steps in the articles below.

Selling/Giving Away Device.      

Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Or if you want to keep the data, when changing to the new ID, make sure you turn off Find My Phone before signing out of the old ID. Once signed out and Find My Phone is off, then sign in with the new ID, then turn Find My Phone back on. There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. If possible, also set up Family Sharing  between the IDs to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.    

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.    

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.        

Child apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.