Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A PROBLEM OCCURRED pop-up when trying to connect to a wifi that redirects to a website.

I have been having this issue since I bought my computer which was around 2-3 years ago. I have a MacBook Air which I have been updating as new software updates have been released (I have not done it to Monterrey yet and updates have not fixed this issue). Ever since I wanted to connect to a wifi that does not give you the option to insert a password but redirects you to a website, I receive this pop-up message. Not matter how many time I do it. It only works if I shut down my computer and try again, but this means that I have to shut it down everytime I want to connect to a wifi or everytime it disconnects. I went to an apple store and booked an appointment with a Genius Expert, and they did not help me at all he said that it was an issue with the network provider. I tried to explain that it could not be because it happens to every single network that works like this. Could someone help me solve this issue. There is no apple store where I'm currently just a authorized seller, and I tried reaching through live chat, because there isn't even a phone number I can call to and it has been 3 years, I am desperate to fix this issue.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 2:48 PM

You have to manually connect to the hotel's Wi-Fi network first. It will not have an Internet connection though.

Then, try this: In Safari, type the following URL

captive.apple.com

Sometimes that will force the "login screen" to load, after which you should be able log in with your room number / name / code / whatever. That is what finally connects you to the Internet.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2022 2:48 PM in response to cniehorster

You have to manually connect to the hotel's Wi-Fi network first. It will not have an Internet connection though.

Then, try this: In Safari, type the following URL

captive.apple.com

Sometimes that will force the "login screen" to load, after which you should be able log in with your room number / name / code / whatever. That is what finally connects you to the Internet.

Oct 24, 2022 8:55 AM in response to cniehorster

cniehorster wrote:

Ever since I wanted to connect to a wifi that does not give you the option to insert a password but redirects you to a website, I receive this pop-up message.

Based on what you posted, it appears that you are trying to connect your Mac to a wireless network that is controlled by a Captive Portal. These are common at places, like hotels, where you are first greeted with a "landing" page for that institution. You then would typically have the option to enter a (in this case) the hotel-provided credentials to then be able to gain access to the Internet.

Am I close to what this issue may be? If so, the following article may prove helpful:

A PROBLEM OCCURRED pop-up when trying to connect to a wifi that redirects to a website.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.