Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get deleted iPhone photos back?

My baby cousin recently deleted all of my photos permanently as a joke thinking I could recover them. But I can’t and I’ve lost over 200 photos! How can I get them back?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 1:14 PM

Try these steps to recover your photos:

1a. Check your “Recently Deleted” folder: Deleted photos will stay there normally for 30 days, after 30 days they will be removed and can not be recovered

1b. Check your “Hidden” folder: Sometimes photos are just hidden and not deleted

2. Read Apple recommendation: If you're Missing Photos or Videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

3. Check your iCloud: Open your iCloud and see if you find the missing photos: https://www.icloud.com

4. Other places where you could find photos: Other computer, external hard drive, USB memory stick, other cloud storage, shared albums, digital camera, memory cards, emails, .. 

5. Use your Backup: iPhone/iPad: Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from a backup MacBook/iMac: Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac You must restore the complete library (as a second copy) and then export the needed photos.

Attention: Unfortunately iCloud backup will only contain data that are not already stored in iCloud, therefore your photos may not be part of this backup. TimeMachine backup will only contain data / photos if they are stored on the local drive, if you use optimized storage for your photos you may just have reduced quality in your backup. 

6. Data recovery service: Some companies offer data recovery service, but this is expensive and can only be done if no new data were added. New data will overwrite the deleted photos and a recovery will be impossible. 

If none of the above steps was able to recover your photos then your photos are gone.

Ralf

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2022 1:14 PM in response to ayaananw

Try these steps to recover your photos:

1a. Check your “Recently Deleted” folder: Deleted photos will stay there normally for 30 days, after 30 days they will be removed and can not be recovered

1b. Check your “Hidden” folder: Sometimes photos are just hidden and not deleted

2. Read Apple recommendation: If you're Missing Photos or Videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

3. Check your iCloud: Open your iCloud and see if you find the missing photos: https://www.icloud.com

4. Other places where you could find photos: Other computer, external hard drive, USB memory stick, other cloud storage, shared albums, digital camera, memory cards, emails, .. 

5. Use your Backup: iPhone/iPad: Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from a backup MacBook/iMac: Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac You must restore the complete library (as a second copy) and then export the needed photos.

Attention: Unfortunately iCloud backup will only contain data that are not already stored in iCloud, therefore your photos may not be part of this backup. TimeMachine backup will only contain data / photos if they are stored on the local drive, if you use optimized storage for your photos you may just have reduced quality in your backup. 

6. Data recovery service: Some companies offer data recovery service, but this is expensive and can only be done if no new data were added. New data will overwrite the deleted photos and a recovery will be impossible. 

If none of the above steps was able to recover your photos then your photos are gone.

Ralf

Oct 25, 2022 2:28 AM in response to ayaananw

Sorry but your device is telling you already the effects of deleting photos.

Delete photos on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Here the message when you delete photos from Recently Deleted

Yes Apple could display a stronger message, if you try to delete more than ??? photos.

But at what amount of photos should they display the other message?

You can send a feedback to the Apple team and ask them to change the message if more than ?? photos are deleted / been removed from Recently Deleted album.

Product Feedback - Apple

My experience shows that people don't read messages if they are too long.

Ralf

Oct 25, 2022 4:51 AM in response to ayaananw

Sorry but no message can stop your baby cousin from deleting data from your phone.

If somebody will ignore the first two messages, he / she will also ignore additional messages.

There are only two things that can help you.

• Do not give you iPhone / device to somebody, if you are not 110% sure the they will not do stupid things
  • Run regular backups from your important data.

Ralf

Oct 25, 2022 2:33 AM in response to Ralf-F

Yeah, I’m aware of that message and that would’ve been enough for me to stop and think about what and how much i’m deleting, but it wasn’t me. It was my baby cousin haha!

I would say when you’re deleting at least 100 photos Apple should display that warning message.

Thanks for your help anyway! Appreciated.

Oct 25, 2022 5:37 AM in response to ayaananw

With iOS 16 installed (as shown below your question) your baby cousin should not have been able to remove the photos from Recently Deleted. The Recently Deleted album is locked and requires a password. You are not sharing your password with your baby cousin? Or are you sharing the same Apple ID? Even if someone deleted all photos, they should still be in Recently Deleted, and nobody holding your iPhone could delete them permanently without entering the passcode.

If your photos vanished immediately after deleting them, you may be having a problem with the iCloud storage. If you have used all iCloud storage, deleted photos will immediately be deleted to help you free your cloud storage quickly. Yu may want to check, if you are having an iCloud Storage problem.

And if you are not yet having iOS 16 installed, you may want to upgrade to the most recent system version.

How can I get deleted iPhone photos back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.