Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook 2016 new screen

I have a 15 inch MacBook from 2016. Screen has horizontal lines running through it. Is it worth repairing out of warranty?

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 12:15 PM

kjfnyc123 wrote:

I have a 15 inch MacBook from 2016. Screen has horizontal lines running through it. Is it worth repairing out of warranty?

Only you would know the answer to that—

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

I was never a fan of the 2016-2018 MBP

Got the money, buy a new one.

Don't have the money, repair the old old one and hope for the best— only a 90 warranty on parts and labor.

need more—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 12:15 PM in response to kjfnyc123

kjfnyc123 wrote:

Only you would know the answer to that—

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

I was never a fan of the 2016-2018 MBP

Got the money, buy a new one.

Don't have the money, repair the old old one and hope for the best— only a 90 warranty on parts and labor.

need more—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Oct 25, 2022 4:21 PM in response to kjfnyc123

FYI, the 2016 model is now considered "Vintage", so Apple will only provide hardware repairs for up to two more years as long as the necessary parts are still available.

Also, macOS 12.x Monterey is the last supported version of macOS for the 2016 model. Apple will only be providing security updates to Monterey for another two years.

Keep in mind some third party app developers will only support their apps on the current officially supported versions of macOS which are typically the most recently released OS and the two previous versions of macOS. Today Apple just released macOS 13 Ventura, which means some app developers will only be supporting Ventura, Monterey, and Big Sur going forward. Other developers may support their apps on much older versions of macOS.

Another consideration is the condition of the battery and keyboard. The butterfly keyboard on the 2016-2019 models are notorious for failing. If your battery has never been replaced, then I'm sure it may need replaced soon as it is six years old. Having Apple replace the Battery does get you a new keyboard since the Battery is glued to the underside of the Top Case Assembly which includes the palmrest & Trackpad in addition to the Keyboard, Touchbar, and Speakers.

Only you can decide if the money is best spent on repairs or putting the money toward a new laptop.

macbook 2016 new screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.