Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Find My' Email Received for phone not lost

My phone is not lost but I received an email that my iphone had been located. I didn't report it lost and 'Find My' correctly located it sitting right beside me. What caused this notification?

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 4:47 PM

4 replies

Oct 24, 2022 5:01 PM in response to HW from EDH

Did you click on a link in the email to track your phone, and enter your Apple ID and password? If so you fell for a scam: You may get a text or email from “Apple” or “Apple Security” (or sometimes “Police”) saying your phone has been found and to click on a link to see its location. This is NEVER from Apple or from law enforcement; it is from the thief or fence to steal your Apple ID and identity. Delete any such message without responding to it. Apple never gets involved in lost or stolen devices→Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

If you did you have just revealed your Apple ID and password to a criminal. Change your password immediately!

Apple does not send you emails when your phone is found. Check this out→Checklist: If you want to see if anyone else has access to your device or accounts - Apple Support

'Find My' Email Received for phone not lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.