Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Block Sign in with Google

This is a new development over the last few weeks:

When visiting websites in Safari, on an iPad running iPadOS 15.7, I am getting a “Sign in with Google” pop-up to “Use your Google Account to sign in to”… website.

I don’t have a Google account. Don’t want to sign in with Google. Don’t use Google or want it anywhere near my iPad.

Safari Block Pop-ups doesn’t seem to prevent this.

How do I block this pop-up?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 1:38 PM

Thanks for the reply, mikeg28806.

There is nothing in Extensions that would relate to this.

When the pop-up prompt appears, I just click the x to close it and carry on.

It’s the annoyance that bothers me. I have seen mentions of this issue going back a couple of years but I have never had it, until very recently.

I’m surprised that there are not more people that have this issue.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2022 1:38 PM in response to mikeg28806

Thanks for the reply, mikeg28806.

There is nothing in Extensions that would relate to this.

When the pop-up prompt appears, I just click the x to close it and carry on.

It’s the annoyance that bothers me. I have seen mentions of this issue going back a couple of years but I have never had it, until very recently.

I’m surprised that there are not more people that have this issue.

Oct 27, 2022 6:12 PM in response to hc1111

Hello hc1111,

Thank you for your reply. I have both Block Pop-ups and Fraudulent Website Warning turned on.

To clarify, this happens on non-Google websites that require logging in, such as newspapers that I subscribe to.

The Google pop-up interjects itself to “use your Google account to sign in”. I do not have a Google account, nor do I want Google stalking my online browsing.

Best,

Oct 26, 2022 11:06 AM in response to Mad9000

Hello Mad9000,

To clarify, are you visiting Google sites when this appears or does it happen at random on other websites?

Try the guidance below to help when seeing pop-ups:

Update your software
Always install the latest software updates for all of your Apple products. Many software releases have important security updates and may include improvements that help control pop-ups.

The safest way to download apps for your Mac is from the App Store. If you need software that isn’t available from the App Store, get it directly from the developer or another reliable source, rather than through an ad or link.

Check Safari settings
On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Safari.
• Turn on Block Pop-ups.
• Turn on Fraudulent Website Warning.

On your Mac, open Safari and choose Safari > Settings (or Preferences) from the menu bar.
• In the Websites tab, you can configure options to allow or block some or all pop-ups.
• In the Security tab, turn on the setting to warn when visiting a fraudulent website.

Continue here for additional help: Block pop-up ads and windows in Safari - Apple Support

All the best.

Oct 27, 2022 6:26 PM in response to Mad9000

Thanks for keeping the thread up to speed Mad9000,

You may want to review your extensions, to see whether anything has been installed their that might populate the prompts you're seeing.

Change Extensions settings in Safari on Mac

To change these settings, choose Safari > Settings, then click Extensions.

If you don't see an extension that may be the cause, or need more help, can you describe what happens if you try to disregard the prompt?

Cheers!

Oct 29, 2022 2:05 PM in response to Mad9000

Hi Mad9000,

Thanks for giving those a try.

Just to make sure there's no issue with your cached data, let's try and erase the data for your iPad here:

To clear your cookies and keep your history, go to Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data, then tap Remove All Website Data.

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you still need assistance, contact Apple Support for more help:

Get Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Oct 31, 2022 9:04 AM in response to Mad9000

Agreed Mad9000, this does seem to be puzzling.

We have an idea, have you tried using a Safari Private Window yet? This may help to alleviate the issue with the Google account pop-up. Here's how:

Turn Private Browsing on or off on your iPad
Private Browsing protects your private information and blocks some websites from tracking your search behavior. Safari won't remember the pages you visit, your search history, or your AutoFill information.

How to turn on Private Browsing
1. Open Safari on your iPad.
2. Touch and hold the tabs button .
3. Tap New Private Tab.
iPad with Safari tab options menu open
While Private Browsing is on, the Safari address bar appears black or dark instead of white or gray, and the buttons are black instead of blue

Turn Private Browsing on or off on your iPad - Apple Support

If you are still getting the Google pop-up, we found this page, which you can report a privacy concern:

Report a security or privacy vulnerability - Apple Support

Or, you can leave feedback using this link:

Product Feedback - Apple

Take care!

Oct 28, 2022 1:48 PM in response to Mad9000

Hello Mad9000,

Unfortunately, we don't know what is causing it. So, disabling extensions is a step. If it stops when you disable all the extensions, then adding them back one by one will be the next test.

It's possible, some third-party extension was recently purchased by Google, OR has a link and uses Google, and now the update wants to re-link it.

If it doesn't happen to be an extension, then the next option is to check the pages it initiates from, or to check your bookmarks. Is a saved page trying to load from Google?

Also, check apps. Some apps link online, and can spark that too.

Otherwise, it looks like Google has a way to stop it, and checking here might point to an old account, or some hint as to what may be causing it: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/112802?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS

Thanks.

Block Sign in with Google

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.