Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move Home Folder Location

I have just upgraded to 12.6. I keep my HOME folder on a separate SSD. Every upgrade I point the location to the external SSD but it appears that I can no longer change the location from the USERS & GROUPS location in System Prefs. It doesnt give the option to open Advance anymore. Where has this option moved to as I need to get to all of my data stored on the external SSD from within Monterey? Mac is an iMac M1 model.

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 1:07 AM

There is still the option to use Advanced.

I am not a fan of moving the home folder, I find it much safer to keep it there and create aliases that point to folders in the external, but nevertheless, it should still work.

First, you need to click the padlock at the bottom and authenticate; then control-click on the account you want and choose Advanced Options...

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 1:07 AM in response to p197330

There is still the option to use Advanced.

I am not a fan of moving the home folder, I find it much safer to keep it there and create aliases that point to folders in the external, but nevertheless, it should still work.

First, you need to click the padlock at the bottom and authenticate; then control-click on the account you want and choose Advanced Options...

Move Home Folder Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.