Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot load external hard drives

I am using a USB-C dongle to connect an external hard drive and monitor to my MB Pro. The monitor is fine, but the USB drive is not loading. There have been a few times it makes a weird clicking noise as well. It never did that before the Ventura update. It's also not showing in Disk Utilities. Any thoughts on what to do here or do I just hope a future update will come to fix this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 12:18 PM

3 replies

Oct 27, 2022 7:51 AM in response to FadedBlack

FadedBlack wrote:

I am using a USB-C dongle to connect an external hard drive and monitor to my MB Pro. The monitor is fine, but the USB drive is not loading. There have been a few times it makes a weird clicking noise as well. It never did that before the Ventura update. It's also not showing in Disk Utilities. Any thoughts on what to do here or do I just hope a future update will come to fix this?

clicking noise sounds like the drive is failing/failed... in that case replace it.

Try a different drive and compare your results

Connect and use other storage devices with Mac

Oct 27, 2022 9:41 AM in response to FadedBlack

Or it may indicate the drive is not getting enough power. Make sure to connect the drive directly to the Mac and try using a different USB port as well. If you are using an adapter to connect the drive, then maybe try another adapter. Also, try disconnecting all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Cannot load external hard drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.