Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage recognized when it shouldn’t be

I used to have a named group chat with my siblings who all had iPhones. Messages sent were iMessages.

Now, 2 of my siblings no longer use iPhones, but the messages still send as iMessages, so 2 of my siblings don’t receive them. I tried entering in all the phone numbers separately again hoping they would be recognized as non-apple users, but that didn’t work. I also changed their phone numbers to “mobile” instead of “iPhone” in their contacts.

Is there a way to make that group specifically sms messages or a way to flag those numbers as non-iPhones?

I am looking for a solution to text all of my siblings together where they all receive the messages for this mix of iPhone/android users. Thanks.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 12:40 PM

Changing the label in Contacts doesn't affect how the messages are sent. That's just for human eyes.

Did the two people who used to have iPhones but who don't now deregister their phone numbers from iMessage? If not, they should:

Deregister and Turn Off iMessage - Apple Support

Once they do that, I'd suggest that you delete their contacts and re-add them. Then, start a new group message.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 12:40 PM in response to emjans

Changing the label in Contacts doesn't affect how the messages are sent. That's just for human eyes.

Did the two people who used to have iPhones but who don't now deregister their phone numbers from iMessage? If not, they should:

Deregister and Turn Off iMessage - Apple Support

Once they do that, I'd suggest that you delete their contacts and re-add them. Then, start a new group message.

iMessage recognized when it shouldn’t be

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.