Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage/text message

My sister use to have an iPhone but has switched to a galaxy. When I message her it sends as a text message but if I send a group message out that includes her and other people that do have iPhones, it sends as an iMessage instead of a text message. So then she doesn’t receive my message at all. How can I fix this?

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 11:08 PM

Group messages only work if the recipients use iMessage. But it is possible to send iMessages to email addresses. Check whether it is her email address that you added as a recipient in the group message.

Alternatively, you can actively unsubscribe her phone number from iMessages.

This can be done from her iPhone if she is still signed in, or online here:

Deregister and Turn Off iMessage - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 11:08 PM in response to ashley_4481

Group messages only work if the recipients use iMessage. But it is possible to send iMessages to email addresses. Check whether it is her email address that you added as a recipient in the group message.

Alternatively, you can actively unsubscribe her phone number from iMessages.

This can be done from her iPhone if she is still signed in, or online here:

Deregister and Turn Off iMessage - Apple Support

Jan 2, 2023 5:28 AM in response to ashley_4481

Yes that is correct. But the recipient who does not use iMessages will not be able to see the replies in the group, or reply to the group. Have you tried Deregistering her iMessage phone number?

Once you've done that, try removing your sister from your family group and add her back - it shouldn't suggest sending as iMessages.

Jan 2, 2023 6:04 AM in response to ashley_4481

Oh yes, I understand perfectly well. Unless your first message is worded incorrectly.

I summarize. Your sister has got a Samsung Galaxy phone, and therefore cannot send or receive iMessage. When you send a message to her, it is sent as a normal green SMS, its fine. But when you send messages inside your family group, it sends iMessages to everyone, including your sister. But because she uses a Samsung, she doesn't receive them.

The solution (may be) to deregister her phone number from iMessages via the link I wrote in my first reply. Solution number two (may be) to remove your sister from the group - AND add her again, in order to register that your sister should NOT receive the message as iMessages.

iMessage/text message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.