Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending desktop to monitor

Is it possible to extend an iPad Pro to a monitor and have separate displays?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 4:12 PM

At present when you connect an iPad Pro to an external monitor, then the screen gets mirrored and that’s about it. You probably already know this. Screen Mirroring is the only option available in this setup at this time.

Later this year, with iPadOS 16.x, external monitors can be used as an extended display via the Stage Manager Feature. The iPad requirements for this is that the iPad must have the M1 or M2 chip in it and of course have the appropriate future iOS versin installed when it is released.

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 4:12 PM in response to DAMcD

At present when you connect an iPad Pro to an external monitor, then the screen gets mirrored and that’s about it. You probably already know this. Screen Mirroring is the only option available in this setup at this time.

Later this year, with iPadOS 16.x, external monitors can be used as an extended display via the Stage Manager Feature. The iPad requirements for this is that the iPad must have the M1 or M2 chip in it and of course have the appropriate future iOS versin installed when it is released.

Axel F.

Oct 28, 2022 7:50 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

The part where, Apple like usual, drops the ball on communication, is that there were plenty of demos ahead of iOS 16 where they showed this extended desktop functionality. But once IOS 16 was released, there was no obvious mention of this feature being held back for further development. Obviously I understand if a feature is buggy, or otherwise not ready for release, it will be delayed - but there needed to have been more of an easily discoverable way to determine this feature was withheld.

I spent an entire afternoon scratching my head, wondering what was faulty with my setup, when my screen was only mirroring and not extending after update.

Well we’ve waited this long, bought the requisite overpriced M-equipped iPad and accessories…. Hopefully the end result will be worth it.

Extending desktop to monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.