Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I stop my messages from going to my spouses iphone?

How do I stop messages being sent to my phone from also going to a second phone?

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 6:18 PM

Immediately stop sharing an Apple ID. Apple IDs apply to exactly one person, regardless of age.

The person acquiring the new Apple ID must thoroughly cleanse her/his Apple devices as follows:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Then “move in” using the new ID.

Perhaps this will. assist.

What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 6:18 PM in response to errol243

Immediately stop sharing an Apple ID. Apple IDs apply to exactly one person, regardless of age.

The person acquiring the new Apple ID must thoroughly cleanse her/his Apple devices as follows:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Then “move in” using the new ID.

Perhaps this will. assist.

What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Oct 25, 2022 6:22 PM in response to errol243

You have to stop sharing the same Apple ID with each other. The messages, among other content, are also being shared. Use separate Apple IDs and look into 👉 Family Sharing.

—————

It is just not Messages, but Contacts, Notes, Calendar Events etc. will also be shared between the devices that use the same Apple ID (iCloud account). Your best option is to use separate Apple IDs.

If you want to continue to use the same Apple IDs for two devices but are only concerned about Messages then there is a workaround which is not clean but will somewhat do the job.

For the Messages isolation - Take one of the iPhones and open Settings  Apple ID (Your Name at Top)  iCloud  Messages: Set this to OFF.  Then, open the Messages appDelete ALL Message threads (Yes I told you, it is not a clean method). Then, open Settings  Messages  Send & Receive: Ensure that ONLY ONE Phone number is checked and that is the phone number of that particular iPhone. No email accounts should be checked. On the same screen, select start new messages from and choose the number of that iPhone. On the same screen, select Text Message Forwarding and set the switch to the OTHER iPhone to OFF.

The above will address the two concerns that you had mentioned in your post. It is not clean and it does not really separate the two iPhones completely, however, it may be just what you need. I still recommend that you use separate Apple IDs for both iPhones if you want to completely keep the data separate.

Axel F.

how do I stop my messages from going to my spouses iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.