Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iPadOS-16.1 compatible with iPad Pro (Second generation)

I have read that iPad-16 is not comparable with my iPad Pro (Second generation), and that the update is only comparable with the iPad Pro with the M1 chip. If this is true, I feel I have been cut off by the knees. This is not an old machine. Are there any iPadOS 16 features that my iPro (Second Generation) can use.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 10:40 PM

No.

iPadOS 16.1 is compatible with ALL year and model iPad Pros.

That stated, many of the new and “cool” features of iPadOS 16.1, like Stage Manager and external monitor support, either through the Stage Manager feature or through the Apple SideCar feature, will NOT be available to older 2015-2017 iPad Pro models.

Also, NO Photos app Intelligent background image removal for older iPad models

Also, NO Live text feature, either for older iPad models.

So, many older iPad models will only get the very basic of new iPadOS 16 feature set and none of the “cool” features that need the power of an Apple A12 or Apple M1 and M2 CPU chip, with many more CPU and graphics cores and Apple's neural, learning engine.

So, do not expedt too much from iPadOS 16.1.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 10:40 PM in response to REClark

No.

iPadOS 16.1 is compatible with ALL year and model iPad Pros.

That stated, many of the new and “cool” features of iPadOS 16.1, like Stage Manager and external monitor support, either through the Stage Manager feature or through the Apple SideCar feature, will NOT be available to older 2015-2017 iPad Pro models.

Also, NO Photos app Intelligent background image removal for older iPad models

Also, NO Live text feature, either for older iPad models.

So, many older iPad models will only get the very basic of new iPadOS 16 feature set and none of the “cool” features that need the power of an Apple A12 or Apple M1 and M2 CPU chip, with many more CPU and graphics cores and Apple's neural, learning engine.

So, do not expedt too much from iPadOS 16.1.

Oct 25, 2022 10:44 PM in response to REClark

I have an even older 2015-2016, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro and I am in NO hurry to upgrade to iPadOS 16.

Other than, after 12 years, finally getting a dedicated Apple iPad Weather app ( based on the third party Dark Sky app ), most of what older iPad model users will get with iOS/iPadOS 16 is pretty ho-hum and underwhelming.

Oct 27, 2022 12:36 PM in response to tyler21

Make sure you do not have a beta iPadOS version/profile installed on your iPad.

If you do, then you will, first, need to remove/uninstall the iPadOS beta software/profile from your iPad.

Once that is done, iPadOS 16.1 should appear in the Software Update panel, in the Settings app, under the General Panel.

Best of Luck to You!

Is iPadOS-16.1 compatible with iPad Pro (Second generation)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.