Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clamshell Mode fails after macOS Ventura update (Oct'25, 2022)

MacBook Air M1 won't connect to the external display (MSI MAG2732) in clamshell mode (power adapter connected to the device with lid off) after updating to macOS Ventura on October 24th (Day of release). I tried to use my updated iPad Air M1 as an external display 2, alongside the monitor as an external display 1. Turns out - after closing the lid, both of the display works! But as soon as the iPad is disconnected, the monitor loses signal (HDMI to USB-c cable).

I tried clearing/removing NVRAM, caches, and windowserver.plist files inside ~/Library/Preferences (couldn't find windowserver files, so any help on this would be highly appreciated!), and none of them worked. I also installed the macOS in safe mode again, changing the display refresh rate to default in both main and external displays. At this point, none of them seemed to work, and the only way I can use the external monitor is by keeping the lid on.

I also made sure that the system isn't falling asleep as soon as I turn the lid off. The system is not asleep when I close the lid, the application seems to be working and the external display also seems to be working normally, but no signals!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 12:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 11:56 AM

I was having this same issue after installing Ventura. Turns out, this OS seems to force the issue on being powered over Thunderbolt connection in order to support clamshell mode. I have a Mokin USB-C adapter that charges my laptop and provides multiple HDMI monitor ports as well as extra USB, headphones, etc and that device does not have passthrough Thunderbolt (even if it's directly powered via Thunderbolt, the connector from Mokin>Macbook is not). I solved my closed-clamshell issue by ALSO connecting a direct Thunderbolt connector along with the Mokin. My next goal will be to replace this little Mokin adapter with on that can also charge via Thunderbolt so that I can trim down to a single connector, but a short-term win nonetheless.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2022 11:56 AM in response to arfazhussain

I was having this same issue after installing Ventura. Turns out, this OS seems to force the issue on being powered over Thunderbolt connection in order to support clamshell mode. I have a Mokin USB-C adapter that charges my laptop and provides multiple HDMI monitor ports as well as extra USB, headphones, etc and that device does not have passthrough Thunderbolt (even if it's directly powered via Thunderbolt, the connector from Mokin>Macbook is not). I solved my closed-clamshell issue by ALSO connecting a direct Thunderbolt connector along with the Mokin. My next goal will be to replace this little Mokin adapter with on that can also charge via Thunderbolt so that I can trim down to a single connector, but a short-term win nonetheless.

Clamshell Mode fails after macOS Ventura update (Oct'25, 2022)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.