Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder search finds little two days after Ventura update

Searching a folder for text that I know exists. Folder total is 100MB, contains PDFs, Pages documents, TXT, RTF. A folder that contains address lists and text-searchable directories. Can't find my name which occurs in most of the files. Finder won't find the text even when I leave the window open for half an hour.

I updated to Ventura two days ago. No preferences have been changed. I have read/write access. Spotlight Privacy has "No Locations Added" that prevent search. The MacBook Air with M2 has been on all day. I'm searching the internal SSD, I'm the admin.

When searching "This Mac" I get a smattering of hits for keywords I type. It seems to be finding mostly images and PDFs that contain my name as Author.

Is Spotlight just taking a long time? Is there a way to move it along? I remember my previous MacBook Pro did not have this issue after OS update.

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 5:59 AM

rboko wrote:

Searching a folder for text that I know exists. Folder total is 100MB, contains PDFs, Pages documents, TXT, RTF. A folder that contains address lists and text-searchable directories. Can't find my name which occurs in most of the files. Finder won't find the text even when I leave the window open for half an hour.

I updated to Ventura two days ago. No preferences have been changed. I have read/write access. Spotlight Privacy has "No Locations Added" that prevent search. The MacBook Air with M2 has been on all day. I'm searching the internal SSD, I'm the admin.

When searching "This Mac" I get a smattering of hits for keywords I type. It seems to be finding mostly images and PDFs that contain my name as Author.

Is Spotlight just taking a long time? Is there a way to move it along? I remember my previous MacBook Pro did not have this issue after OS update.

You can rebuild the Spotlight search function computer wide..

easy enough to do:

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

use the drag and drop method of HD icon

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2022 5:59 AM in response to rboko

rboko wrote:

You can rebuild the Spotlight search function computer wide..

easy enough to do:

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

use the drag and drop method of HD icon

Finder search finds little two days after Ventura update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.