Search doesn't find what I want?

Search in Finder no longer finds simple files and documents that are clearly there. Does anyone know what the problem is with Apple? I think it must have been since the last O/S update that I have had this issue. It now seems to be searching the entire Macbook when it should only be searching the folder I am in currently e.g. the Documents folder. Ridiculous and pointless! Whoever made these changes at Apple should be sacked.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 7:40 AM

In Finder > Settings > Advanced panel, have this set:

And in the View manu, have Show Path Bar selected.

Then, in a Finder Window, where you are in a current folder, pay attention to those Spotlight keywords that narrow your search results, and be certain you have the appropriate categories selected in your Spotlight Search results choices.

If you were looking for a PDF document in the current folder that has more than 30 pages; was created after June 1, and has a specific PDF keyword in it, you might use this search pattern:

kind:pdf pages:>30 created:>06/01/2023 keyword:typography

or a Word document whose name contains the case-insensitive string:

kind:word name:harmony

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2023 7:40 AM in response to john10001

In Finder > Settings > Advanced panel, have this set:

And in the View manu, have Show Path Bar selected.

Then, in a Finder Window, where you are in a current folder, pay attention to those Spotlight keywords that narrow your search results, and be certain you have the appropriate categories selected in your Spotlight Search results choices.

If you were looking for a PDF document in the current folder that has more than 30 pages; was created after June 1, and has a specific PDF keyword in it, you might use this search pattern:

kind:pdf pages:>30 created:>06/01/2023 keyword:typography

or a Word document whose name contains the case-insensitive string:

kind:word name:harmony

Search doesn't find what I want?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.