Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home.app default Sunset Automation suddenly fails to work

My Home.app default Sunset Automation suddenly fails to work. I run my HomePods and Philips Hub lights from my 5th Gen iPad. I’ve reset the iPad but will have to wait for sunset to test. The automation works fine via Test This Automation yet I’ve come home to a dark house the last several nights.

ps the automation is turned on

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 12:21 PM

Thanks for everyone’s help. Solved. User error and incompatible software problem. In search of the answer I’d opened the rather oblique Philips Hue app to see if any updates were due as the problem source. I’ve used it only to set up the lights after purchase and never use it otherwise. I initially renamed my lights using the Home app. In the Hue app I hit Sync with Home.app, hoping it would fix things but not noticing Home app now listed the default names for my bulbs. I believe this was source of the problem.

Now both apps share the same bulb names and everything is working properly.

ps the Hue app made it difficult to find/access an edit to bulb names, totally obtuse, four levels deep in menu-ing.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 12:21 PM in response to John Dwight

Thanks for everyone’s help. Solved. User error and incompatible software problem. In search of the answer I’d opened the rather oblique Philips Hue app to see if any updates were due as the problem source. I’ve used it only to set up the lights after purchase and never use it otherwise. I initially renamed my lights using the Home app. In the Hue app I hit Sync with Home.app, hoping it would fix things but not noticing Home app now listed the default names for my bulbs. I believe this was source of the problem.

Now both apps share the same bulb names and everything is working properly.

ps the Hue app made it difficult to find/access an edit to bulb names, totally obtuse, four levels deep in menu-ing.

Oct 29, 2022 10:32 AM in response to John Dwight

Hey John Dwight,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. Since your test does work, it seems that your settings are probably correct. However, it could be that this is due to a season change. As mentioned in Use automations in Home on iPhone - Apple Support, "If you choose Sunset or Sunrise, times vary as the season changes.

You can also set an automation to only occur after sunset, which is useful for turning on lights just when they’re needed." Have you tried the setting for when arriving at or leaving a location to see if your lights will come on when you get home? That is from the same article and may isolate the issue to a time change or seasonal issue.

When arriving at or leaving a location: Tap People Arrive or People Leave. Choose when the automation is activated by people arriving or leaving, the location, and the time the automation works.

If you need more help, it may be best to reach out to Apple Support.

Best of luck.

Nov 1, 2022 6:13 PM in response to faith185

I tried the Arrive Home setting, which didnt work. My hub is my iPad not my phone and the tablet stays home for the most part. IDK if that matters.

I’ve switched the Sunset setting to Time of Day, since the app’s Sunset setting still fails to detect it. I recently had to replace the Philips Hue Hub; maybe something got fouled up then.

Nov 1, 2022 6:29 PM in response to John Dwight

John,

You say that you changed the setting to Time of Day from Sunset, did that make a difference? Additionally, when you have it on 'Sunset', does it not work at all to turn on the lights or does it turn them on at a later time? If it is coming on at the wrong time, have you checked the date/time settings?

Let us know.

Best regards.

Nov 4, 2022 5:38 AM in response to mario49

After getting a good result by switching the Sunset automation to a specific time instead, now even that continues to fail every night now. I have no idea why. I've checked the Philips Hue hub app is up-to-date. I've reset the iPad 5 Gen. I've turned off the iPad as Hub. I use an Apple TV4K, I guess assigning that as a hub is next, although I have no clear path to do so. I'm still finding iPad as Hub directions on the Apple Support pages, and still seeing the option in the tablet's Settings.

Home.app default Sunset Automation suddenly fails to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.