Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panics and Sleep Wake Failures after upgrading to macOS Ventura

I've had the same issue (Frequent restarts with kernel panic error… - Apple Community) when I upgraded from Big Sur to Monterey where the MacBook freezes, fans spin up fast, and restart with a kernel panic report, or sometimes refusing to wake up from sleep (the trackpad responds to clicks).

I got that issue fixed by having the service center reinstall the firmware. (There's a story to how we thought of erasing the firmware, and it ending up resolving the issue for me)

Now I have the same issue immediately after I upgraded from Monterey to Ventura.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I tried the usuals:

1. Reset NVRAM
  2. Reset SMC
  3. Run FirstAid
  4. Boot into Safe Mode, etc.

What I haven't tried and I do not want to because they did not work in the past is: Doing a clean install of the OS and installing any third parts apps, or wiping the firmware.

It just seems weird to see this happen again with the same symptoms, and no solutions working.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 2:59 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 27, 2022 10:14 AM in response to the_gray_arrow

Uninstall CleanMyMac by following the developer's instructions. CMM is notorious for causing all sorts of problems with macOS. Anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security software are not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve, plus they impact system performance.

FYI, I stopped reading the report after seeing CMM listed because this app is that bad & notorious. I did skip to the end to look at the log summaries and see a lot of ProxiedDeviceBridge errors. I have seen others with these errors, but I don't know if they are the cause or a side effect of the problem.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

Oct 27, 2022 4:23 PM in response to the_gray_arrow

the_gray_arrow wrote:

these issues still occur after a clean install of the OS without any 3'rd party apps installed.

In that case your only options are to "Restore" the firmware to see if that resolves the issue, or you have a hardware issue of some sort which will need to be repaired. The "Restore" firmware option resets the T2 security chip in addition to pushing a clean OS onto the internal SSD of the laptop so there is a slight difference.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Make sure to disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem. But like a said before, those "ProxiedDeviceBridge" errors seem to be related to people's issues with the 2019 model more often than other models. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what that refers to although I do recall a few posts a few years ago where people had escalated the case to an Apple engineer. I believe at least one user reported having their laptop repaired for the issue.

Oct 27, 2022 8:12 PM in response to HWTech

Whenever the Apple service center runs diagnostics on my machine, they don't find any faults in the hardware.

And based upon my previous experience with the same issue, I am guessing restoring the firmware should resolve the issue this time too. I would have done it myself, like all the other steps I did, but I couldn't because I do not have another Mac.

But what boggles my mind is the same issue occurring once again during an upgrade process, and I see a pattern here. Does it mean it will happen again next year when I upgrade from Ventura to say- macOS 14? And I again have to restore the firmware? 🙄

Kernel Panics and Sleep Wake Failures after upgrading to macOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.