Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for Mac Album

How do I chronologically sort photos in a created album by the date each photo was added to that album? Example: I am an artist who creates greeting card art. I created a "Greeting Cards" album into which I added photos of the greeting card (on the date the art was created). The album photos span 5 years. When I open the album, the photos are not in chronological order and I have to skim through 590 photos to find the date I'm looking for. I've tried using search, but it doesn't help.

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 7:45 AM

For pictures in a folder sorted by date, that's available in the View>Sort menu. This is available for an Album view and for Smart Albums, but not Library view or for searches.

The date may not be the date it was added to the library. Another option is to make titles for the pictures and sort by title. Titles I use start with the date so that similar events naturally fall together.

The Imports view

sorts pictures by the date added to the Library, a date not connected to the date created or the date modified.

The Another option is to use the Library view, and you an narrow down by Years, months, or days.

The real power is to use keywords to classify the pictures and reduce the number you have to search through. A photo can have many keywords, Valentine, Church, Hartford, Cat, and so on, allowing you to look at all the Valentine cards that have a church in Hartford and also have a cat in them. You can set up Smart Albums that require any or all of your requirements to apply. Then you can sort the Smart Album by date to help.

You access Keywords with he Information window, Command-I

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2022 7:45 AM in response to everestclimber

For pictures in a folder sorted by date, that's available in the View>Sort menu. This is available for an Album view and for Smart Albums, but not Library view or for searches.

The date may not be the date it was added to the library. Another option is to make titles for the pictures and sort by title. Titles I use start with the date so that similar events naturally fall together.

The Imports view

sorts pictures by the date added to the Library, a date not connected to the date created or the date modified.

The Another option is to use the Library view, and you an narrow down by Years, months, or days.

The real power is to use keywords to classify the pictures and reduce the number you have to search through. A photo can have many keywords, Valentine, Church, Hartford, Cat, and so on, allowing you to look at all the Valentine cards that have a church in Hartford and also have a cat in them. You can set up Smart Albums that require any or all of your requirements to apply. Then you can sort the Smart Album by date to help.

You access Keywords with he Information window, Command-I

Photos for Mac Album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.