Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In macOS 13 (Ventura), how do you select a specific screen resolution now?

The Displays settings panel was redesigned to show "Larger Text" to "More Space" options in a previous macOS release but you could still hold down the option key, select "Scaled Resolutions" (or whatever it was labelled) and get to see and select from available resolutions (1920x1080, etc.)

I don't see how to do that now with Ventura macOS 13. And it's a problem because the provided options ("larger text" to "more space") don't let you get to the native resolution for some displays, like mine: an LG ultrawide display whose native resolution is 3840x1600.

So how do I select that resolution now with Ventura (or any other specific resolution)?

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 9:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 10:04 PM

I eventually stumbled onto the answer (lots of clicking with/without option or command key, etc): if you right-click on the icons you'll get the option to show a list of resolutions and you can choose the resolution you're looking for. Right-clicking on the list gives the option to show the abbreviated set of icons again.

It's a rather hidden behavior since you wouldn't expect to be able to right-click here but it's arguably not as hidden as the old option key method. Unfortunately, the macOS User Guide for the new Displays panel doesn't provide the answer and even still refers to elements of the old Displays panel that are no longer present.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2022 10:04 PM in response to Incredulocious

I eventually stumbled onto the answer (lots of clicking with/without option or command key, etc): if you right-click on the icons you'll get the option to show a list of resolutions and you can choose the resolution you're looking for. Right-clicking on the list gives the option to show the abbreviated set of icons again.

It's a rather hidden behavior since you wouldn't expect to be able to right-click here but it's arguably not as hidden as the old option key method. Unfortunately, the macOS User Guide for the new Displays panel doesn't provide the answer and even still refers to elements of the old Displays panel that are no longer present.

In macOS 13 (Ventura), how do you select a specific screen resolution now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.