Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard and mouse weird behaviour

Hi! I have a MacBook Pro 17 mod 2010. I did a keyboard replacement a few months ago and it’s been working great. But yesterday, I wasn’t able to log in as it didn’t recognise the password. After many tried and resetting the Pram and Smc I could log in, but after a few seconds I realised that every click with the mouse was registered as a right click, and the keyboard was wrong, letters didn’t match or would just backspace.

tried restarting it but again, won’t recognise the password. I can’t seem to be able to reset Pram as I’m assuming it doesn’t recognise the keys properly.

I tried using a usb mouse and keyboard but same behaviour.

any help would be really appreciated.

thank you so much!

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 1:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 5:57 PM

If an external keyboard & mouse have the same issue, then either you have a software/configuration issue, or a hardware failure with the laptop (most likely the Logic Board, but a slim chance the built-in keyboard). Try disconnecting the built-in keyboard to see if the external USB keyboard & mouse work properly now. Maybe even try disconnecting the built-in trackpad as well.

See if you can use the external USB keyboard to reset the PRAM.

Also try booting into Safe Mode which disables third party software from launching automatically during boot & login.

Disconnect all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to see how the keyboard works. You may need to launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu since I'm not sure anything else will allow you to type anything, but do not press the "Return" key so as not to trigger any commands accidentally. You can try launching a simple command line text editor from the command line by using the following command (followed by pressing the "Return" key to submit the command), although I'm not sure if this text editor is available from the macOS installer, but it is worth a try so as not to accidentally run a command while testing the keys. If it launches the text editor, then you can press Control + X to exit the editor, followed by pressing "N" for no when prompted to save the text.

nano

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. The only useful diagnostic is one which produces an error or freezes during testing.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2022 5:57 PM in response to Flamingship

If an external keyboard & mouse have the same issue, then either you have a software/configuration issue, or a hardware failure with the laptop (most likely the Logic Board, but a slim chance the built-in keyboard). Try disconnecting the built-in keyboard to see if the external USB keyboard & mouse work properly now. Maybe even try disconnecting the built-in trackpad as well.

See if you can use the external USB keyboard to reset the PRAM.

Also try booting into Safe Mode which disables third party software from launching automatically during boot & login.

Disconnect all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to see how the keyboard works. You may need to launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu since I'm not sure anything else will allow you to type anything, but do not press the "Return" key so as not to trigger any commands accidentally. You can try launching a simple command line text editor from the command line by using the following command (followed by pressing the "Return" key to submit the command), although I'm not sure if this text editor is available from the macOS installer, but it is worth a try so as not to accidentally run a command while testing the keys. If it launches the text editor, then you can press Control + X to exit the editor, followed by pressing "N" for no when prompted to save the text.

nano

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. The only useful diagnostic is one which produces an error or freezes during testing.

Oct 28, 2022 6:49 PM in response to HWTech

Hi!!

thanks for the reply!

I was able to make it work by disconnecting the keyboard. The only problem is that it disconnected the power button, so I had to started with the keyboard plugged, restart and disconnect the keyboard, and then it was able to login in with the external keyboard.

I bought the replacement keyboard from AliExpress. As it was the only place where I could find it. Could this be the issue? And would I need another keyboard if that’s the issues or could I try to troubleshoot what is wrong on this one?

thank you so much!

Keyboard and mouse weird behaviour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.