Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does one close all apps simultaneously on an iPhone?

Apple, in it's infinite wisdom, does not allow for apps to close simultaneously. Rather, the user is presented with the tedious task of closing open applications one by one, which if there are many apps open means fiddling with the swipe up, which works sometimes, and then sliding up each app, which will as often as not, launch the program.

Hence my question is whether there is a third party application that will do this work in one fell swoop. I'm looking for recommendations or work-around.

Please note that this question pertains to apps, not tabs. I've noticed that there is some confusion about this in other threads. - Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 11:31 AM

ewalrath2015 wrote:

It would help me to understand this if someone were to explain how having 20 apps opened at the same time does not affect performance.

The apps are suspended. They are not using much, if any system resources. If, on the other hand, you close them and then need to open them again, that requires more system resources than unsuspending them. Modern operating systems are very good at managing memory and processor capacity on their own.

You can save some resources by turning off Background App Refresh in Settings>General>Background App Refresh.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2022 11:31 AM in response to ewalrath2015

ewalrath2015 wrote:

It would help me to understand this if someone were to explain how having 20 apps opened at the same time does not affect performance.

The apps are suspended. They are not using much, if any system resources. If, on the other hand, you close them and then need to open them again, that requires more system resources than unsuspending them. Modern operating systems are very good at managing memory and processor capacity on their own.

You can save some resources by turning off Background App Refresh in Settings>General>Background App Refresh.

Oct 28, 2022 10:18 AM in response to ewalrath2015

If Apple wanted you to close all apps, they would have designed this option into the phone.

Truth is, Apple notes that you should not try to close all apps unless your phone is having app problems.

If you really do want to close all apps at the same time, you can always Power Off the phone, wait 15-20 seconds, then power the phone back on.

Oct 28, 2022 10:37 AM in response to ewalrath2015

ewalrath2015 wrote:

I'm well aware that Apple does not want us to have that level of control. Though I'm curious why that is so, that knowledge won't change anything.

Because it's not necessary. It gains you nothing to close all of the apps. The phone runs better and uses battery more efficiently if you don't try to micromanage it. And, Apple doesn't allow third-party apps to have that kind of control over the iPhone operating system. The "why" for that restriction is for security.

Oct 28, 2022 11:37 AM in response to ewalrath2015

This comes straight from Craig Federighi, Apple’s VP of software engineering. He has stated that once an app is in the background it does not take up any computing cycles (if properly designed, Facebook was a glaring exception). He also says quitting and then reopening apps takes more energy than leaving them open and shortens battery life. I’ll take his word for it.

But back to your original question. Neither iOS nor macOS have ever had such on option. I don’t think Windows or Android does either, other than logging out or shutting down/rebooting. Neither does watchOS or iPadOS.

How does one close all apps simultaneously on an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.