Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone 14 Pro Max bad battery drain even when not used

So I purchased a new iPhone 14 pro max two days ago, as apple claims its battery should last a while

( I know IOS 16 is new and it doesn't have IOS 15 battery performance, but I think its not very efficient like when they launched IOS 15)

Current settings:

always on is off

disabled most of the apps in background app refresh

no weather widgets

disabled unnecessary location services

all of that just to look at my battery percentage and realise that its draining even when im not using it,

for example, yesterday I went to sleep while having 92% (unplugged), and at 8am it was 76% with one notification, this is the kind of battery performance I was getting with my XS max with 80% battery health

I was like wtf :-|

I would appreciate some help

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 10:01 AM

Hi abed162,

Is this happening on the latest version of iOS 16? iOS 16.1 is the latest version of iOS. Was your device restore from a backup when set up? Is it possibly that the data is still restoring in the background? You can tap Settings > your name > iCloud > iCloud Backup to see if data is still restoring. This may be expected behavior until the data is fully restored.

Since you mentioned the battery is decreasing while sleeping, check and see if the behavior is due to an app using data in the background, which could be also be expected behavior for losing battery life unexpectedly. Check out those steps here: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

"Background Activity. This indicates that the battery was used by the app while it was in the background — that is, while you were using another app.

• To improve battery life, you can turn off the feature that allows apps to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and select Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi & Cellular Data, or Off to turn off Background App Refresh entirely.
  • If the Mail app lists Background Activity, you can choose to fetch data manually or increase the fetch interval. Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Fetch New Data."

Reach out to Apple Support directly for further assistance if additional help is needed: Contact - Official Apple Support

Kind regards.

Similar questions

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2022 10:01 AM in response to abed162

Hi abed162,

Is this happening on the latest version of iOS 16? iOS 16.1 is the latest version of iOS. Was your device restore from a backup when set up? Is it possibly that the data is still restoring in the background? You can tap Settings > your name > iCloud > iCloud Backup to see if data is still restoring. This may be expected behavior until the data is fully restored.

Since you mentioned the battery is decreasing while sleeping, check and see if the behavior is due to an app using data in the background, which could be also be expected behavior for losing battery life unexpectedly. Check out those steps here: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

"Background Activity. This indicates that the battery was used by the app while it was in the background — that is, while you were using another app.

• To improve battery life, you can turn off the feature that allows apps to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and select Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi & Cellular Data, or Off to turn off Background App Refresh entirely.
  • If the Mail app lists Background Activity, you can choose to fetch data manually or increase the fetch interval. Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Fetch New Data."

Reach out to Apple Support directly for further assistance if additional help is needed: Contact - Official Apple Support

Kind regards.

Dec 13, 2022 8:19 AM in response to abed162

There is never a time when an iPhone is doing nothing, unless you shut it off completely. And even then some circuits remain on to support Find My and battery status. But when the phone is on, even when you are not using it, the phone receives notifications that must be filed, receiving new email and text messages, weather updates (whether you have a weather widget or not), stock updates, App Store updates, syncing to iCloud, etc. And it also communicates with the cellular network periodically so the network knows where to find it if you get a call. A drop of 16% just from background processes like these over a 10 hour period is normal.

But you should be plugging the phone in when you go to sleep. The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Oct 31, 2022 10:55 AM in response to Chris_D13

Thanks for your help Chris,

its on on the latest IOS which is 16.1, I restored it using my old phone

the data wasn't that huge, also this happens on like the 3rd day forward, I doubt that it is restoring in the background

what's baffling me is i put it on my desk when its on like 90% and when I woke up it was like 76%, I checked background activity everything is normal

I also turned off 5G and limit it to LTE only, disabled a lot of apps in background app refresh

and always on display is off

Dec 13, 2022 10:19 AM in response to wjtaggart

ive never encountered this problem on iOS 15, in my opinion iOS 16 (despite that its a new software) is by far the worst iOS ever, it causes the iPhone to overheat and use more power

things that I recommend that might help (plus the advice from Lawrence Finch)

1) turn off always on display its sipping on your battery life like ****, its sad to disable a new feature that was one of the reasons you bought the new iPhone, but in iOS 16.2 you will be able to have a black background instead of the regular wallpaper

2) go through the apps that have background app refresh enabled and turn it off

3) use less widgets in your Lock Screen (and in general)

4) turn off or increase the mail fetching duration

lastly, keep apps open in the background , launching apps every time you pickup the phone uses a lot more battery than simply having it on, the OS Is optimised and can manage memory well

Dec 13, 2022 10:24 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

thanks Lawrence ,

im familiar with that, if anything im on 99% battery health using optimised battery charging, so I stopped using it.

idk iPhone 14 pro max is just a joke

I keep my battery percentage between 50% and 80% its a hassle to focus on keeping my battery percentage in that range

I thought about selling it and buying an iPhone 13 Pro Max or wait for the 15

Dec 13, 2022 12:46 PM in response to abed162

abed162 wrote:

I keep my battery percentage between 50% and 80% its a hassle to focus on keeping my battery percentage in that range

That is NOT a good strategy, because it means that line power never runs the phone, so all energy to run the phone comes from the battery. If you charge overnight for most of the night line power operates the phone, so the battery is not used.

Why did you STOP using optimized charging? 99% is good. On average, ANY smartphone will lose about 1% of its capacity per month.

Dec 13, 2022 1:04 PM in response to abed162

That is NOT what Apple recommends. Apple recommends charging overnight, with Optimized charging enabled. You’ve had the phone less than a month, and it’s at 99%. The calculation truncates, so as soon as it drops below 100%, even to 99.9%, it will display 99%. You haven’t had it long enough to see the trend, and a new phone will use more energy for the first week or two as it updates its databases in background.

Actually, there is very little you can do that will significantly affect battery longevity either positively or negatively, except let it drain to zero routinely (which will significantly shorten battery longevity). But charging overnight will slightly extend battery longevity, and never letting external energy power the phone will slightly shorten battery longevity. And external power ONLY operates the phone when it is either at 100% or at 80% due to Optimized Charging.

New iPhone 14 Pro Max bad battery drain even when not used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.