Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini DV tapes

Uploaded(Friends tape) tape to iMac macOS Mojave. and replaying results is very fast, with distorted sound. Camera shows time length as 1.30 minutes but iMovie records it as 20 seconds?

My personal tapes upload correctly and and plays correctly. any advice welcome

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 9:17 AM

Hi, petey218,

Possibly the footage was recorded in Long Play instead of Standard Play and that might have influenced the import result. Or, possibly you are importing slower frame rate footage into a faster frame rate project?

In any event, try putting the footage into an iMovie project timeline and slowing down the speed. You can do this by Control-clicking on the clip in the timeline and selecting Show Speed Editor from the pop up menu. That will cause a speed adjustment handle to appear in the top right corner of the clip. Slide the handle to the right to slow down the clip, and to the left to speed up the clip. After adjusting the speed, you can then export it as a movie file that has the correct speed.

Another way is to select the clip in the timeline and click on the speed icon (the one that looks like a clock dial) in the timeline at the top right of the project screen. The speed controls will then appear that allows one to slow down or speed up the clip.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2022 9:17 AM in response to petey218

Hi, petey218,

Possibly the footage was recorded in Long Play instead of Standard Play and that might have influenced the import result. Or, possibly you are importing slower frame rate footage into a faster frame rate project?

In any event, try putting the footage into an iMovie project timeline and slowing down the speed. You can do this by Control-clicking on the clip in the timeline and selecting Show Speed Editor from the pop up menu. That will cause a speed adjustment handle to appear in the top right corner of the clip. Slide the handle to the right to slow down the clip, and to the left to speed up the clip. After adjusting the speed, you can then export it as a movie file that has the correct speed.

Another way is to select the clip in the timeline and click on the speed icon (the one that looks like a clock dial) in the timeline at the top right of the project screen. The speed controls will then appear that allows one to slow down or speed up the clip.

-- Rich

Oct 29, 2022 12:49 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich839 Thank you so much for your advice. I had no idea that the facility existed presumably because the need never arose.

It is still a learning curve for me but I have managed to get a short video done at the correct speed. I am glad that people like you are around to help others especially me at 87 !!

Thanks again Peter

Mini DV tapes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.