Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display

I just installed Ventura and I can't use my external display anymore. It was working just fine before Ventura, connected to HDMI and USB-C adapter. Now it doesn't appear on displays and can't find a way for the system to recognize it. Please, Apple, make it work.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 8:16 AM

9 replies

Nov 5, 2022 5:21 PM in response to bcavos

UPDATE: Eventually the "Un-plug, re-plug" failed with all the movement of the laptop off the desk, shutting down etc. so I needed further investigation. I think I have now come across the fix. Somebody had posted a Display setting that seems to overcome the problem. My setup is MBP Pro 14" on the desk, two HP monitors as external displays. Ensure both external monitors are connected, one maybe blank!! but recognised in the Display setting window. Now select Built-in Display (MBP), and make sure that Use as .... Main Display.... More Space" is selected. Now the blank display activates !

Oct 31, 2022 5:41 AM in response to bcavos

I upgraded to Ventura last night. This morning, Samsung external display not working. Had worked perfectly for months until now. USB-C Cable is providing power but no video. Display knows there is something connected and is asking me to 'turn on the device connected to USB-C'. That device, an almost brand-new M2 MacBook Air, is, obviously, already on. 

I've rebooted MBA and monitor, then restarted MBA in Safe Mode. Hasn't worked. 

Displays options - shows monitor as Airplay option but not as external monitor via USB-C. Holding Option key reveals 'detect displays' button, but clicking said button does nothing. 

Following call to Apple support I also created and tried using another user account on the machine. Didn't work.

Nov 1, 2022 9:10 PM in response to bcavos

My Sony external display (the only display connected to my mac mini) comes up with the dock and menu bars off the screen after upgrading to Ventura.

I can adjust the overscan to scale the screen down - but the overscan setting is not saved, so I have to adjust it each time I log in.

I never had to do this with previous versions of MacOS. I suspect some resolutions are missing from Ventura.

Nov 2, 2022 7:30 PM in response to bcavos

Same happened to me with 16.1 I have two external HP monitors, all worked fine with initial Ventura upgrade, now only 1 monitor comes on with my MBP, as well as the MBP screen. Display panel in System Settings shows all 3 displays, I can move a window into the black display, so it knows it is there??. Swapping around cables (USB-C to HDMI), and different ports on MBP makes no difference.

External display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.