Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to print from Pages and get error “File Type not Supported”

Recently updated three things around 4 -5 days agoIPad OS to 16.1Apple Pages v 12.2HP Smart v 9.6Now I am unable to print documents from Pages (old or newly written) via HP Smart printer. I am greeted with the ridiculous message “File Type Not Supported” when [^] -> Print with HP Smart (the only print option from the only menu 3 options).Photos do print easily and [^] delivers a 9 item menu choice which includes a generic Print option (which always worked before and was an alternative print option) to the suspect Print with HP Smart.So hands up - what or who is causing the issue. I am copying this against the two app vendors and against the app store reviews as well as the iOS developers. Please corroborate and get this sorted.I have in the meantime developed a workaround. Ridiculously if I copy a Pages document into Apple Notes I am then able to print from there!

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 7:43 AM

Talking to myself!

The Apple iWorks Team have been helpful and advise:

“The toolbar in iPadOS 16.1 and later dynamically changes based on available width, which can be impacted by multitasking or by the screen size and orientation of your iPad.

— If you see the document name in the toolbar,[is top left for me on iPad] tap it to open the document menu, choose Print, then choose your desired print options - [works for me rather than HP Smart].

— If you don’t see the document name in the toolbar, tap “...” in the toolbar to open the More menu, choose Print, then choose your desired print options”.

Pages documents per se are apparently in a zip format designated as “Pages Document” which HP Smart does not recognise and creates the error message “File Type Not Supported”.  HP NEED TO MAKE THEIR SOFTWARE APPLE PAGES COMPATIBLE.

Documents can be converted to other formats but Apple’s print solution involves no extra manipulation!

No response from HP!  HP 0/10 Apple 10/10.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2022 7:43 AM in response to Finchale

Talking to myself!

The Apple iWorks Team have been helpful and advise:

“The toolbar in iPadOS 16.1 and later dynamically changes based on available width, which can be impacted by multitasking or by the screen size and orientation of your iPad.

— If you see the document name in the toolbar,[is top left for me on iPad] tap it to open the document menu, choose Print, then choose your desired print options - [works for me rather than HP Smart].

— If you don’t see the document name in the toolbar, tap “...” in the toolbar to open the More menu, choose Print, then choose your desired print options”.

Pages documents per se are apparently in a zip format designated as “Pages Document” which HP Smart does not recognise and creates the error message “File Type Not Supported”.  HP NEED TO MAKE THEIR SOFTWARE APPLE PAGES COMPATIBLE.

Documents can be converted to other formats but Apple’s print solution involves no extra manipulation!

No response from HP!  HP 0/10 Apple 10/10.

Oct 29, 2022 10:27 PM in response to Finchale

Hi Finchale,

You've described this as an issue with printing from Pages on an iPad to an HP printer, but have posted your question in the Pages for Mac community.

I've requested your post be transferred to the iWork for iOS/iPadOS community, where you're more likely to find a solution.

Regarding your workaround: Pasting the text of your Pages document into Note automatically converts that text to a generic text format recognized by the printer.

Regards,

Barry

Oct 30, 2022 3:55 AM in response to Finchale

Hi Barry

Further to your reply it set me thinking about my old and infrequently used Mac. I tried out printing from Pages for Mac v12.2 and using cmdP and it works. However HP Smart for Desktop is NOT installed! I suspect that this may be where the issue lies on the iPad and also iPhone as I just realised.

Regards

Philip

Nov 4, 2022 8:02 AM in response to Barry

@Barry. I now have a solution from the Apple iWorks Team which I have posted.

Regarding not being able to print from Pages via HP - I now understand that Pages files it documents in a zip format called “Pages Document”. This is not being recognised by the HP software/printer. It is possible to change and save documents in another format but not a realistic daily activity. Also adds weight to your reasoning why copying and posting into Notes does work. At least I now know where Apple have “Hidden” the generic print option since iOS16.

Bottom line is that HP need to make their software and hardware compatible with iWorks. Very poor and they have not responded to my direct query.

Regards

Philip

Trying to print from Pages and get error “File Type not Supported”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.