Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages incompatibility with HP DeskJet 4100 software

A year ago Pages stopped printing on my Canon printer. I bought an HP printer as above. Today I find I can’t print any of my documents from Pages using the HP Smart software as when I try it says “ File Type not Supported”.

i can’t get round the use of HP Smart - how do you suggest I print my documents please?

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 11:36 AM

This has just happened to me. After HOURS on the phone to both Apple and HP … both initially blaming the other company the fix is to click on the top left arrow alongside the document name and just follow the usual print instructions.

Have to say that both companies were incredibly helpful or to be more accurate, tried REALLY hard to find a resolution … I couldn’t have asked for better responses but the above is obviously a ‘work-around’ not a fix.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2023 11:36 AM in response to Oglalla

This has just happened to me. After HOURS on the phone to both Apple and HP … both initially blaming the other company the fix is to click on the top left arrow alongside the document name and just follow the usual print instructions.

Have to say that both companies were incredibly helpful or to be more accurate, tried REALLY hard to find a resolution … I couldn’t have asked for better responses but the above is obviously a ‘work-around’ not a fix.

Feb 7, 2023 5:17 PM in response to Oglalla

Hello Oglalla,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to print to your HP printer. If this is from your iPad mini running iOS 12, HP only lists iOS 14 and iOS 15 as being compatible: HP DeskJet Plus 4100 All-in-One series Software and Driver Downloads | HP Customer Support

You maybe able to convert the Pages file to a PDF and see if that prints: Export to Word, PDF, or another file format in Pages on iPad - Apple Support

You also posted to the Pages for Mac section, so if this issue is on a Mac, please give us more details so we can determine next steps.

Cheers!

Feb 19, 2023 9:35 AM in response to Oglalla

Well that’s odd as I received a message that you posted (?) saying ‘None of the above worked. I ended up AirDropping to my husband's iPhone and he could print from that - madness!’ 😳

What’s even more odd is we have 6 iPhones/Pads in our household, have always used HP Smart to print and the problem is on all of those too!

So, your message about AirDropping to an iPhone would have given the same problem.

Sigh 😊

Never mind, we seem to have a work around.

Feb 19, 2023 11:51 AM in response to Moonshine33

Hi Moonshine 33

sorry, posted the stuff to Apple before I read your very helpful info! Once again, many thanks for it. I have also since found that I can print from Pages on my iPhone via the 3 dots option but not the Print with HP Smart one. I guess that’s what my husband must have used when he printed from his iPhone.

The whole thing is bonkers but thank you again!

Pages incompatibility with HP DeskJet 4100 software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.