Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music dumping files

Ever since I upgraded to Ventura, Music is "dumping" for lack of a better word, ANY file that has a diacritic or special character in the Track Name, Album Title or Artist. A double click the track, it plays but in Finder, the file disappears.

I've checked and double checked everything I can possibly think of. I have the correct location for my Music Library and files. I have EVERY last thing on the drive backed up on another SSD, but this is getting out of hand.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I was able to change the album name for a few files, and get it to work with two artists, but my entire Mötley Crüe collection was wiped from my primary Music drive with a double click. These files were enver a problem with Monterey.

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 2:49 PM

Use Feedback - macOS - Apple to report the issue. It is unlikely that anyone from Apple will notice this thread otherwise.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 30, 2022 10:33 AM in response to turingtest2

It's gone from the library and Finder. I first saw it with the album, (Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd) by Lynyrd Skynyrd. As you can see, it's chock full of special characters. When I was running some files through Audition to clean up leading and trailing silence, I double clicked "Tuesday's Gone" and it played for two seconds and stopped, then the track time changed to 0:02. So, I right clicked and chose "Show In Finder." The folder opened , the track was gone. With the Finder window open, I went through the rest of the album. One by one, as I double clicked the tracks, they disappeared from the folder. And the weird part is, they DIDN'T end up in the trash. They were just gone. The next album was "A" by Agnetha Faltskög (From ABBA). One by one as I double clicked, the tracks disappeared from the folder.

As I stated in the original post, I have a backup SSD, so it wasn't a big deal from one standpoint, but there's something going on with Music since I installed Ventura. I have around 64,000 songs and this never happened until the upgrade.

I don't even use music as a player. It's more like a search tool to find things to edit, before adding them to my MP3 player. But if it's going to wipe out what I'm searching for, it's of no use to me.

I've been an iTunes user since the first build for OS9, so feel free to suggest anything you think might help. I'm not so sure this is a Music thing, though. The app works fine except for the special character glitch, but that didn't start until Ventura, so I'm leaning toward something with the New OS causing it. I remember a photo disappearing the same way right after the install.

One other thing. When I first tried copying replacement files onto the Music drive, I got an "Error-50" message. It persisted until I erased the drive and just copied the entire contents from the backup.

Oct 30, 2022 12:19 PM in response to SeñorBrandonez

External drive? Perhaps that doesn't make use of the trash if something is deleted. Did you make any change to the drive format when you erased it? What format is the drive in now? My internal drive on my M1 MacBook Air is APFS and I'm not having any trouble with my Motörhead tracks for example. Are you now able to copy back the Lynyrd Skynyrd and Mötley Crüe content, or is anything with diacritics still getting erased?

Do you have the Keep Music Media folder organized option enabled? If that is turned on then Music might attempt to move/rename a file (which with certain drive errors might cause things to erased) but otherwise it ought to stay exactly where it is. Also seems odd that the entry in the library gets removed, that's not a typical behaviour. Do you have a subscription to either Apple Music or iTunes Match?

tt2

Oct 30, 2022 12:57 PM in response to turingtest2

The drive is a SamSung M5 1TB SSD, formatted EXFAT because I have three other Media drives that have to work with Windows 11 and OS X. My laptops have had trouble reading any other format. The Ventura upgrade migrated the existing (and working) settings from Music, which included keeping the folder organized on the SSD. I looked to see if a new album folder was being created as the files disappeared, but they just dropped from the folder they were in. And whenever I manually delete a file from my library, it does go to the trash, where I can empty it or restore it. I've done precise file searches for the files that "disappeared" and they were not on the SSD anymore.

I copied the files back with no problems after the erase, but Music still wiped a Lynyrd Skynyrd file away when I double clicked it. I deleted the folder and replaced it from backup, then ran the files through MP3Tag, to change the Album Title to plain characters, and they play fine afterward. It may be semantics, but I'd kinda like to keep the true artist, track and album names if I can.

Hopefully, someone in R&D will pick up on this thread and they can take a look to see if it can be recreated, and then fix it. In the meantime, I can't trust Music.

Music dumping files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.