Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 12.9” m2 screen smear

Is anyone else having a problem in dark mode on an iPad 12.9” M2 with iPadOS 16.1, with light colored text or images causing color smear when scrolling? I have having this problem since I got the device. Turning off True Tone lessens the problem, but it’s still there. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

iPad Pro, 12.9-inch, 6th Gen, Cell 5G

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 12:04 AM

9 replies

Nov 10, 2022 2:32 PM in response to jsquared71

This was the only thread here I could find about this issue but over on Macrumors there is a large ongoing thread about this. Most of the complaints are from those with the new M2 but I, as well as others, have seen this on the M1s as well. The determinate issues are having night shift, True Tone, and dark mode all on. Turn night shift and True Tone off and there is virtually no issue even when dark mode is on. The vast majority of posts, and my experience as well, popped up after 16.1 was released. Those who were able to avoid 16.1 or downgrade from it are not seeing any such issue.

Most of us maintain that it’s a software issue but a fair number have gotten replacements with most stating the issue is present on the new devices. Also quite a number of people have gone into Apple Stores and checked the display iPad Pros and state that the issue is present on them as well. If it is a software issue a timeline for a fix is unknown. 16.1.1 does not address this.

Dec 4, 2022 1:46 PM in response to jsquared71

Having the same issue with the iPad Pro 12.9 M2 with iOS 16.1. I tried to take a iPad screen recording and iPhone video of the issue but couldn’t see it replicated in either recording. I am hoping this is a software issue. In a description of Pro Display XDR on the Apple website it talks about the contrast between brightness and darkness that the eyes see is very challenging to reproduce in a display.

iPad 12.9” m2 screen smear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.