Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Network and Time Capsule backups

I have installed Nest video cameras around my home, and exceeded the range of my "last available" Time Capsule unit from Apple. As a result, I got "first available" Nest Wifi Pro units to expand my network and they work exceptional. However, I want to install the Time Capsule as a backup drive to the WiFi Pro units so my family can rest assured that our computers are being kept backed up.

Each of the new mesh units has an Ethernet port on them, do I simply connect the Time Capsule?

Bob Timmons

gave an answer to a similar question a couple years back that suggested it was possible at that time.

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 10:13 AM

I cannot back up my laptop

Are other Macs backing up OK?

Regarding a similar product to a Time Capsule, there really are no direct replacements for a Time Capsule, which was a router with a built in hard drive. No other manufacturer ever offered a similar product.

The closest that you will come is an upper end Asus router or Synology router that will support Time Machine backups to a hard drive connected to the USB port on the router.

The simplest, cheapest and most reliable way to back up is connect a USB drive directly to the Mac.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2022 10:13 AM in response to MacVaugh

I cannot back up my laptop

Are other Macs backing up OK?

Regarding a similar product to a Time Capsule, there really are no direct replacements for a Time Capsule, which was a router with a built in hard drive. No other manufacturer ever offered a similar product.

The closest that you will come is an upper end Asus router or Synology router that will support Time Machine backups to a hard drive connected to the USB port on the router.

The simplest, cheapest and most reliable way to back up is connect a USB drive directly to the Mac.

Dec 2, 2022 6:24 PM in response to Bob Timmons

MacVaugh

Author

User level:

Level 1

12 points

Dec 2, 2022 6:20 PM in response to MacVaugh

Mr. Timmons,

It has been a month since may last post :) There appears to be *no* error message.

Apple appears to have offered some incentives to buy up new MacBook Pro with the M1 (likely so they can introduce the M2), but I cannot buy a new one until I can backup this data.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Ed

Reply Helpful

Nov 1, 2022 6:32 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Once again, thanks for the help!

No error message, just a very slow computer. Performed your steps of removing and adding the time capsule disk after the backup of the iMac. This laptop is customarily linked by cables to this keyboard and a monitor (two sided "dock" since all ports are used, but leaves this location for work once or twice a month. Thus, it is *not* suitable for using an attached external drive with the laptop, much better to use the iMac. Laptop is used in court (I am semi-retired), and they are currently requiring local backup, rather than a service such as the Cloud, or Carbonite.

After iMac completed (very slow):

Now, 14-1/2 hours later:

Ed MacVaugh

Oct 30, 2022 6:14 PM in response to MacVaugh

I have not personally worked with a Nest mesh system, but assuming that it is similar to other mesh products, the Time Capsule will interface with the network just fine.

Ideally, you would want to connect the Time Capsule to the "main" mesh unit using an Ethernet cable, but things will work if the Time Capsule connects to one of the other mesh units.

The Time Capsule will need to be reset back to factory default settings and then set up again to work with the mesh system.

The Time Machine settings on each Mac will need to be reset as well and new connections from each Mac will need to be setup so backups from each Mac will work correctly.

Note......If your Time Capsule is 6-7 years old, that is about the time.....on average......that the device begins to start to act up. If your Time Capsule is in this category, you would not want to trust the Time Capsule as your only backup plan.

Oct 31, 2022 11:26 AM in response to Bob Timmons

iMac appears to be doing fine, appears to be doing a complete backup, not just an incremental one. I did a "hard reset" of the Time Capsule. Note that I have no idea how to accomplish this part of your message from last evening: "The Time Machine settings on each Mac will need to be reset as well and new connections from each Mac will need to be setup so backups from each Mac will work correctly. "

Oct 31, 2022 11:38 AM in response to MacVaugh

I have no idea how to accomplish this part of your message from last evening: "The Time Machine settings on each Mac will need to be reset as well and new connections from each Mac will need to be setup so backups from each Mac will work correctly. "

This does not need to be done on any Macs that are backing up correctly now.

Wait until the backup of the iMac has completed

On the laptop.......

Open System Preferences (the gear icon on the dock)

Open Time Machine

Click on Add or Remove Disk, or it might say Select Disk

Click on the current backup disk.....likely named "Data" unless you have changed the name of the hard drive on the Time Capsule

Click Remove Disk

Close the windows and restart the laptop

Open System Preferences > Open Time Machine

Click on Select Disk or Add or Remove Disk

Click to select the Time Capsule disk.....likely named "Data"

Click Use Disk

Close the windows and try to run a backup If an error message appears, please post back with the exact text of the message.

New Network and Time Capsule backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.