Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot click into anything. IMac mouse navigates but I cannot access anything on the screen.

Cannot click into anything. IMac mouse navigates but I cannot access anything on the screen.

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 5:59 AM

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac - no.

I will try the safe-mode trick and maybe that will help with the problem. Wish it was reproducible but it isn't and it happens just often enough to irritate as I have to close the program then restart it. Thanks for your help; it is appreciated. If this fixes the problem I will post back so anyone else with the same issue will know the fix. May be a while as it doesn't happen on a daily basis.

Susan

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2022 5:59 AM in response to Old Toad

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac - no.

I will try the safe-mode trick and maybe that will help with the problem. Wish it was reproducible but it isn't and it happens just often enough to irritate as I have to close the program then restart it. Thanks for your help; it is appreciated. If this fixes the problem I will post back so anyone else with the same issue will know the fix. May be a while as it doesn't happen on a daily basis.

Susan

Oct 31, 2022 2:29 PM in response to gale cady

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Oct 31, 2022 1:52 PM in response to gale cady

I am having problems with my magic mouse too. Sometimes I can open a folder using double right click which I have done for years but sometimes it just won't open a folder. Sometimes, after multiple tries it will work but mostly not. Once in a while, the cursor just disappears (this happens in LrC as it is the program I used most). Haven't noticed it in any other programs. I think the loss of the double click to open a folder bugs me the most though. If it is a bug I hope it gets fixed soon or if there is a solution running around out there I would love to know what it is.

iMac 24" Ventura 13.0. Magic Mouse 2.

Thanks, Susan

Dec 8, 2022 10:16 AM in response to sooperduty

Safe mode did not fix the problem the mouse still randomly quits working as it should. As a matter of fact, both the mouse and the keyboard stopped working last week. Just got a notice that they had disconnected. Both finally came back online after a couple of minutes but it sure left me without the computer during that period. Has not happened since.

I did find an old article where it was suggested that the speed of the mouse may cause it not to open files, etc. as a double click happens too fast for it to be recognized as a double click. Well, I slowed mine down and while the problem hasn't gone away completely it is better.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.