Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Next step to take after a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) is almost 10 years old, runs Big Sur and works great-but has a few screen glitches now and then. But after 10 years, I'm thinking the newer Macs must be faster, etc but which one? Do I jump right into the 2021 or 2022 model (ouch on the price) or something older?

I'd like to make sure there is a significant difference between my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) and the next step up. But what exactly should that be? I do alot of video editing with Final Cut Pro and iMovie, I really miss the old Soundtrack Pro, but use Garageband, and lots of internet use.

I'm not sure if I can afford the latest 2021 or 2022 MacBook Pro and sometimes wonder if a newer iPad Pro would work for me. I can live with using iMovie if the iPad lends itself to better portability for video creation.

I'm sure there are many options that are superior to what I have now, so it's somewhat overwhelming.

Any suggestions on the next step to take after a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)?

Thanks in advance!!

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 9:06 AM

$2500 (assuming USD as this is an international forum) is plenty for a brand new MacBook Pro.

If you want something lighter, you may want to look at a MacBook Air.

A new M1 14" MacBook Pro with 32GB of RAM and 1TB of storage will run you $2599. 14-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray - Apple

If you want a 16" MacBook Pro with 32GB of storage and 512GB of storage, which is a behemoth of a computer and is quite heavy, $2899: 16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray - Apple

A new M2 MacBook Air with 24GB of RAM and 1TB of storage will run you $2099. MacBook Air with M2 chip - Midnight - Apple

Either one should last 5 to 7 years maybe more.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2022 9:06 AM in response to workit

$2500 (assuming USD as this is an international forum) is plenty for a brand new MacBook Pro.

If you want something lighter, you may want to look at a MacBook Air.

A new M1 14" MacBook Pro with 32GB of RAM and 1TB of storage will run you $2599. 14-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray - Apple

If you want a 16" MacBook Pro with 32GB of storage and 512GB of storage, which is a behemoth of a computer and is quite heavy, $2899: 16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray - Apple

A new M2 MacBook Air with 24GB of RAM and 1TB of storage will run you $2099. MacBook Air with M2 chip - Midnight - Apple

Either one should last 5 to 7 years maybe more.

Oct 31, 2022 8:32 AM in response to workit

Any suggestions would be contingent on available budget. Also, how much RAM does your current Mac have, how much storage space are you currently using?

I can totally recommend the new M1 or M2 Macs and they will be leagues above your current Mac. But if budget, as you say, does not allow for them, then there would be no point in suggesting them.

Outside of that, compare your current one with whatever other options you may be contemplating and see what differences they offer.

You can start here: link-> https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/?modelList=MacBookPro-13_4,MacBook-Air-M2,MacBookPro-13-M2

You can also taker a look at Apple's refurbished store for some discounted options: link-> https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/macbook-air-macbook-pro

Oct 31, 2022 7:47 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for your response!

Current Mac stats:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

In regards to budget, I think $2500-ish ($3000 would be a max).

I have also been considering the portability of the iPad Pro since I travel alot now and short trips with my 5-lb laptop and the block gets cumbersome. Looking at the new laptops it is easy to be tempted to add the highest memory, GPU etc....then all of a sudden the new laptop is $5000.

When I make the jump to a newer one, I want it to last and not be outdated by new technology in a year. Honestly, I didn't think this one would still be so functional after 10 years, (esp with FCP main usage) but maybe my demands on the computer aren't as intensive as I thought. I don't multi-task huge programs. Maybe I don't need the latest, maxed out version.

I'm also wondering how often most people get a new Macbk Pro and what feature, or reason, pushes them to that point? Guess that should be a whole new question!

Next step to take after a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.